Hard top window seal installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard top window seal installation

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hard top window seal installation

I have an old hard top, but the side windows are out. I bought new seals for the top, but I haven't been able to tell which way the seals get installed. How do you tell which side of the seal should be installed to the inside of the Jeep? It just seems like it could sort of go either way, but only 1 way is right.

Last edited by Sherms-CJ7; 03-25-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Green091
1983 CJ7 

If you posted a pic of them I could tell you. I have never changed the glass on a jeep hardtop, but I own a glass shop and could tell you which way it goes. I am assuming they are gasket glaze, if so the locking strip goes to the outside.
Green091 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Cool Thanks for replying ... pics to follow ...

Last edited by Sherms-CJ7; 03-25-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Ok, here's one of the seals ...
img_4029.jpg   img_4031.jpg   img_4032.jpg   img_4035.jpg  
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
Ok, here's one of the seals ...

That's for the side window???? I'm confused.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I have the same seals, and the same question!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Green091
1983 CJ7 

The smooth side goes in. The narrow slit goes around the body and the wider one goes around the glass.

The first step is to run the gasket on the body without the glass in it. Then spray glass cleaner in the glass channel of the gasket to lube it up. EDIT - When you run the gasket on the body put the seam where the two ends meet up on the bottom in the middle.

Then set the bottom of the glass in the bottom channel of the gasket. Glass shops have what they call a "bone tool" (some places may call it a windshield stick) which is basically a piece of 1/4" thick hard plastic about 6 inches long and a 1/2" wide with rounded ends that they use to work the gasket around the edge of the glass. You should be able to get a couple from your local glass shop for a few bucks or so. You can use something metal, but I wouldn't advise it since you don't have a feel for how hard you can pry without breaking the glass.

Use the bone tool to work the glass into the gasket. Start on the bottom corners and work your way up. If one side gets tight try working the other side. If both are tight try slapping the glass to the left or right and get it to slide all the way to one side so you can work on the other. You can get a friend on the inside to push out on the gasket with one bone tool while you work on it from the outside with the other. Be careful not to tear the gasket.

Once the glass is completely in the gasket you need to "lock" it in. In the bottom picture you posted the left side of the gasket is the locking strip. You need the longer leg on the bottom to lip under the shorter upper leg. Spray the gasket with glass cleaner again and use the bone tool to lift open the upper leg while at the same time pressing the longer leg behind it. They make a tool specifically for this, but it isn't necessary . Work it all the way around and once it is fully locked into place you are good to go. The glass is completely secure and water tight without any type of sealants.

I hope I explained everything clearly enough for you to understand. Feel free to ask any other questions. This is one of the easiest and simplest ways to install glass once you get the hang of it. If it gets overwhelming a glass shop shouldn't charge too much to install it for you and they should be able to do it fairly quickly.
Green091 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

I was thinking mine were a loop-type seal with no ends. Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at your photo though, I would think the side without the groove or lip sticking out would go to the outside.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Great directions! Sadly, I do have a question - sorry! My confusion arises from the fact that there are 3 ... slits, and I'm not sure of what you meant by the "smooth side"? Looking at the top-right picture, I was thinking that you mean the top of the seal. Then, the big slit for the window is on the left and the narrow slit for the body is on the right. But, what about the oddly shaped slit on the bottom (again, 1st row, 2nd picture).

Thanks again - this has confused me for ... ah, well, a real long time.
Unread 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Great directions! Sadly, I do have a question - sorry! My confusion arises from the fact that there are 3 ... slits, and I'm not sure of what you meant by the "smooth side"? Looking at the top-right picture, I was thinking that you mean the top of the seal. Then, the big slit for the window is on the left and the narrow slit for the body is on the right. But, what about the oddly shaped slit on the bottom (again, 1st row, 2nd picture).

Thanks again - this has confused me for ... ah, well, a real long time.
2nd picture...

The narrow, longer slit on the right pushes onto the edge of the opening.
The wider, shorter slit on the left is the glass channel.
The odd-shaped slit is the lock, and it goes on the inside.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Thank You Much - Great info! Now all I have to do is to "get 'er done!" Then again, maybe I should paint it first!?
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thank You Much - Great info! Now all I have to do is to "get 'er done!" Then again, maybe I should paint it first!?
I think you would get "convenience points" if you painted it without the glass.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Awesome avatar BTW!

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Thanks! I was in the Navy and flew in those old planes. I was stationed in Jacksonville, FL and, in fact, that's where I bought my CJ - that was back in 1994 ... feeling pretty old these days
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I know you already got your answer but you aren't the first to ask and probably won't be the last.. so I went ahead and labeled your photo, hope you don't mind..

Please also note that the interlock goes on the outside of the vehicle.

Similar rubber is used on many construction vehicles like backhoes and stuff.. and you simply wouldn't be able to get to the rubber from the inside.. it would be tucked away in a corner somewhere. Also many school buses use this rubber for their back window.. next time you walk by one look up.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.