Hard top storage and removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard top storage and removal

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Hard top storage and removal

has anyone used any of the hardtop winch removal units I see advertised? or the roll around carrier.. I have tons of height in my shop, and like the idea of a small winch up there with cables or heavy straps to lift it off and store it up above.. just secure and leave hanging.. question is also, how do these cables or straps fasten on, and will/can they do damage to the top or the paint job? also, the roll arounds, they look like they just sit right on the floor of the roller? must be padded? thanks... wayne

Unread 05-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/

General Jeep topics that are not model related

can we all just get over this BS and help each other... see how easy it is to pick each post apart.

We used to help each other until someone got bent out of shape....

we are not advertising super 35's or 1000 watt stereos here.... its all CJ related.... if it bends the rules so be it... leave it up to the mods...

if you got called out on selling something pull up your big boy pantys and deal with it!

can we just get back to helping each other?

To the OP:

I used eyelets from lowes and a few pulleys to lighten the load... I have the link somewhere if I find it i'll send it.. made lifting a hard top much easier by yourself....

I lowered mine to the floor so im not sure how it works for storage... I only have 8' ceilings
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/
general forum since it applies to many different makes of jeeps would be the proper place to post this.
good plan, but I drive a CJ, not a different make of jeep.. so, since I read the CJ forum, that's where I post it.. its not a classified, its not a technical question, its basically an experience question that someone with a CJ might have an answer to.. but thanks for the advice, maybe I'll share the answer in the GENERAL FORUM.. wayne
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

AMEN!!! there we go... now if we all can have that attitude we can move on...... I agree... just was trying to make a point...didn't mean to ruffle feathers if I did...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_1000.htm

see how they did theirs... I was under $75 for all my stuff. definitely reinforce the ceiling.... them top are heavy!
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

What just happened?? Was there a post that was deleted resulting in the explanation of "let's all just get along?"

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I built my own hard top lift about 15 years ago. It was kind of redneck, but it worked good for my situation. The first prototype was made from some bent steel plates made into hooks that I dipped in the stuff you coat wrench handles in (Dip It was the brand I used). I then used 1/2" rope and made two seperate lines with the hooks on each end. One from side to side, and one from front to back. Once I found the pivot point for both directions so that it would balance, I made plates with slotted holes for 1.5" straps and sewed it together with an industrial sewing machine that I used for canvas boat projects. I hooked it up to a pulley system in a large maple tree and lifted the top off. I took my hard top off in the spring and put it on in the fall so I didn't use it a whole lot. The whole thing cost me about $30. I wish I had picture of it, but I got rid of the hard top and harness about 6 years ago.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
What just happened?? Was there a post that was deleted resulting in the explanation of "let's all just get along?"

Chris
no, just concern over placement of my question, I explained that since I drive a CJ, and basically have received great answers from this forum, that's why I didn't use the general forum.. nothing ruffled, nothing lost..
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

and thanks Nereussailor for the input, gives me an idea to consider.. I like hanging it up in the raftor, since its 26' up there, and it would be out of the way..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.