Hard top side glass installation ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard top side glass installation ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Hard top side glass installation ?

Picked up a hard top this week. In good shape except one side glass is out.

Question is, does the gasket go on the glass, then install into the top as a unit, or install the gasket on the top then install the glass?

Unread 06-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

The rubber I have on my hardtop is the type that goes onto the frame first and then you use a fiber stick and silicone spray helps too, to just feed it in. Start with the bottom first so it won't drop down. We use a straight screwdriver at the shop to do this.. but if you don't do it everyday.. it's easy to break it that way too.. try a fiber stick.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

My hardtop was the opposite. The seal went on the glass first. Then a piece of rope went around the seal (where the hardtop goes). Put the window in from the inside and used the rope to pull the seal around the hardtop. I had a friend's brother who works at a glass shop help me out and he had some tricks to make it easier, but I can't remember what they were.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.