Hard top lifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard top lifts?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Hard top lifts?

Let's see your aparatus or hear you idea for building a hard top lift for one man easy on easy off installation/removal. Even if you haven't tried your idea list it.

I have a number of thoughts in my head, most involve finger style hooks to go in the corner of the door openings and in the rear hatch opening with the window up of course. Another involves a strap that you would bring through the top, again at the door openings and one about 6 inches from the rear but behind the last part of the roll bar.

Unread 11-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I built one for my girlfriends JK, what I did was get a cheap ATV winch for about a 100 dollars and crawled up into the attic of her garage and mounted it to the rafters with some angle iron. I cout out a 4 inch hole and dropped the cable and the control pendant through the hole. I then took some 1 inch square perforated tubing and made a H the size of the hard top. I then took some one flat stock and made J hooks which I dipped in plastic dip. So she backs into the gargae and lowers the H down on to her roof and then bolts the J hooks on to the H frame. And with a click of the pendant it pulls all the way up to the drywall. All in all it was about 200.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

I use a rope. I tie it around the rear hatch latch and go to the center of the roof, just to the rear of the doors. I weigh it down there and then open the doors, go left (or right) to a door opening, then down under the top to the other side and then back to the roof top center which is weighed down, and tie into it. I then find balance lifting center and place electrical tape just before and after to mark it.
The rope coils up when not in use for easy transport for field removal.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Here ya go:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...-pics-1228954/

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

On my Meyer top, I built a basic roof-rack. The main reason was to make it easier to remove the top.

To remove, I back my Jeep into my backyard in a spot between 2 large trees. High above, I have a large metal beam that runs between the trees, and I run my basic 2-ton hand winch connected to 4 pre-measured hooks/straps..

The whole setup cost practically nothing, and takes only minutes to remove the top.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys, pretty good ideas, I am gonna build something just collecting differen thoughts.
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

This all come to a head one beautiful day last week. My son had not driven his CJ to school but he had left the top on it. While I wanted to go for a ride and I didn't want the top on, but alas I couldn't remove it by myself. Well I had figured out what I wanted to do and I had bought the supplies it was jsut a matter of putting it together. He is the results of a quick hour installation, there are some angles that I am gonna probably go back and change but it worked great.

First I went directing overhead of my working bay and wrapped a chain around the overhead beam and bolted a pulley to it angled towards one of the center support beams. Then I drilled a point hole and used a screw in hook to mount the pulley on the center beam, again angling the pulley towards the outside beam I intended to use. Then I drilled and mounted a pulley on the outside beam angling vertically towards a boat winch. The winch I mounted a little over head high, laced a nylon rope through everything and it worked like a champ. As far as a top harness I used nylon straps to build a quickie, the type that hook back into themselves and use a racket, not the hook type, ran them through the door opening and then out the back and back to themself. Then I did use the hook style to tie them together and tie the rope to. Worst part was working out the balance so it hung level and it had a tendency to twist which was cured by additional straps going to each wall from the racket straps. In the end it will be cranked althe way to the top and hang in the peak of the roof, I didn't want to leave it up there until I worked out a way to secure it so it is not relaying on the winch and rope.

Thanks for all the revious ideas.
dscn2141.jpg   dscn2145.jpg   imag0028.jpg  
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Looks good to me!

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Thanks, I replaced the hooks with chains today, just too much flex for me, it also positioned the last pulley more over the winch. I pulled it all the way up to the roof and am working on a strap system to secure it overhead.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I welded up a big T with flat hooks with a little bit of chain

A chain hoist in a tree in the front yard and the top is off.
I built a cart to pull the top to the back yard and it had to fit through the gate.

All a one man process.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

For the last 20 years I have mounted 4 eye hooks in the garage or carport directly above the 4 corners of the box. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to remove my top and maybe 10 to re-install depending upon if I add the weather strip back.

Back Jeep into area you want the top stored. First open the rear hatch. Then hook a ratchet strap in each eye bolt, with the straps hanging to the four corners; I lift a corner up and hook the S hook under the top and work my way from front to back. You just have to lift each corner about 4" , its not too heavy even my gf can take her in top off this way ;-)

Then you drive out. You can even hold it with your hand as you drive in or out to steady it.

The top is balanced and will stay hooked unless you bump it hard. Mine even stays if one hook falls off.
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

After contemplating several different homemade contraptions, I just ordered the http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Harken+hoister&x=0&y=0.

I figured for $100 bucks, why not. It looks easy to install, as well.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

I plan on replicating Mike D's work in a similar fashion with two bike lifts from Harbor Freight ($7.99 ea) but rather than a board in the front and back I am going to use boards going across from side to side and that have a bolt running through the hold down areas. Then to balance the load I plan on putting my hard doors on the boards for the summer and lifting it up. I figure this will weigh approximately 250-300 pounds.
ADDZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
After contemplating several different homemade contraptions, I just ordered the Harkin Hoister 4-point 145#.

I figured for $100 bucks, why not. It looks easy to install, as well.

Matt
It's only rated for 145 lbs, that seems marginal to me for a top. I also have to raise mine about 8 foot to get it into the peek of the roof for storage. I couldn't find any big detail pictures. When you get it post some please it looks like it has potential.

Thanks for everyone for posting your set ups. It can help others door the road, one stop shopping for a lot of ideas.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.