hard time starting after sitting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hard time starting after sitting

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
lewis09
1977 CJ7 

hard time starting after sitting

My CJ has a 304 with motorcraft 2100, and when it sits for a day or two it has a hard time starting cause its not getting gas... After pumping the crap out of it and turning it over quite a bit it will start and be fine the rest of the day... So I am thinking I am losing fuel line pressure while it is sitting... I think I must have a leak in a fuel line somewhere, but before I go down that road I thought I would see if anybody else had some ideas

lewis09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

look at your fuel filter, mine has one inlet and two outlets

center outlet goes to carb, outside one is an overflow and returns fuel back to tank.

it is suspose to be installed with the outside outlet in the top position.

have heard that if it's installed with the outside outlet at the bottom it can pull fuel back from carb into the tank.

next time you start jeep after its been sitting awhile, take breather off and pump carb, see if you have any fuel sprayed into carb, if not then fuel has been pull back into tank

I know when i corrected the position of the fuel filter, my jeep starts better.

This is not saying its starts right up after sitting for a week, but it turns over a number of times and fires off, but after its started once, then it fires off each time.

other idea is carb is leaking fuel down into motor, so you have raw gas on cyl walls as you try to start engine, not good, that is a carb problem and will have to be rebuilt.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it's anything like my yjs fuel filter there should be a check valve so that may have gone bad. Come to think of it I'm not sure where the check valve is but mine has a simmilar but less severe problem. As long as I pump the gas before I start cranking it works good. After sitting for a week it only takes a few extra cranks.
88Jeff94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The gas filter not level with the return not up top will for sure cause your symptoms. So will a pinhole leak between the pump and tank. The junk they now sell as gas will kill the rubber lines if stock and they crack and let air in causing the long cold starts. They are suction lines so they don't leak gas out unless real bad, just leave a stain.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
lewis09
1977 CJ7 

After looking at the fuel filter it only has one inlet and one outlet .... The return hose isn't connected to anything... Just sitting on top of the motor
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well then that's not your current problem but it will be good to put in the correct filter with 3 ports.

A weak fuel pump with dirty check valves could also cause your problem. It will allow the gas to leak back to the tank and have weak pressure when running. But even if you have no pressure in the fuel line your jeep should have enough fuel to start after sitting for a few days. even weeks.

Have you actually checked to see how much fuel is in the bowl? The 2100 makes it easy to pop the top and take a look. If it's not empty then look at accelerator pump or choke.

I had the darndest time starting mine starting after sitting until I replaced the pump. I replaced the pump because one day I saw it pumping gas out the side, not because it hurt performance. Magically the starting problem went away at the same time.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

We had a similar thread not too long ago....hard cold starting, rough cold idle, had to nurse the throttle until it was warm, etc....

His electric choke wasn't hooked up. Sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
lewis09
1977 CJ7 

I will take a look tonight to see if I have fuel in the bowl... A new fuel pump would probably be a good idea as well... My electric choke is hooked up and works once I get it started
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis09 View Post
I will take a look tonight to see if I have fuel in the bowl... A new fuel pump would probably be a good idea as well... My electric choke is hooked up and works once I get it started
I would look for a leak first.

Be Very wary of the new POS fuel pumps they sell, I put one in just because I was rebuilding everything and the casting was bad so it let all the oil in my crankcase blow out on a highway run blowing my engine. By the time my mechanical gauge said 0 pressure, there was 0 oil left. Grr....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.