Hard starts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard starts.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
jason400
1985 CJ7 

Hard starts.

Ok I can't figure this one out and need a little help. I have a 85 CJ7 with a 258. The jeep has only 51K on it and is mostly stock. I recently put a new Weber 32/36 carb on it and a new fuel filter and pressure regulator (set at 4.5psi). I also replaced all of the vacuum lines. Here is the problem. Sometimes it fires right up, no problems, hesitation or anything. Other times it cranks over for 10-15 seconds before it fires. Either way when it's started it runs great, no misses, idles like dream, no stalling on take off etc. I think I am going to start with a new fuel pump (Carter P4070 with no regulator), any other ideas?

Thanks
Jason

jason400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Is your choke working?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

be sure fuel filter is orientated properly,

i have a weber on my jeep and i do not have a fuel pressure reg, the normal fuel pump provide the proper fuel pressure,

so far so good,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
jason400
1985 CJ7 

What is the proper orientation for a fuel filter? I noticed it sometimes doesn't have much fuel in it (glass filter).
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
jason400
1985 CJ7 

I guess what I mean is there a proper orientation other then flow direction. Flow direction is correct and the filter is currently at a 24 degree angle, not sure if that makes difference.
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason400
I guess what I mean is there a proper orientation other then flow direction. Flow direction is correct and the filter is currently at a 24 degree angle, not sure if that makes difference.
The glass filter is not the OEM fuel filter they are referring to.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

the fuel filter on my old jeep is a metal type filter,
it has one inlet in and two outlets out:

the outside outlet is to be positioned at 12:00 high, the center outlet is for fuel to the carb.
the outside outlet is to let gas vapor return to tank,

if the outside outlet is positioned other than at 12:00 high, after the vehicle sets for a long period of time, fuel can be syphoned out of the carb and sent back to fuel tank.

when you next try to start the vehicle, you will have to pump fuel back into the carb, this may take a bit of cranking on the starter to get the vehicle running.

however, after short periods of non run time, the vehicle will start right up as fuel has not had time to syphon out of carb back to the tank.

this may not be your problem, but you need to insure you have the fuel filter properly onientated.
if it does not fix your problem, (cold engine) set carb choke with one push of fuel pedal, then check carb to be sure the choke closed, if the butterfly did not close properly, this can make the vehicle hard to start. If choke is working properly, you might try a full tuneup and timing set.

driving these new vehicles with fuel injection that always start right up,

have made us tend to forget the good old days of carbs and choke settings.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
jason400
1985 CJ7 

Since im using a weber carb I don't need that type of fuel filter. The gas tank return is from the carbon canister and the carb has a line running from it to the canister. I really think that fuel is slowly draining (gravity) back down the line through the pump over ectended time periods and that it takes a few cranks to re-pressurize the line to the carb. According to weber they recommend the carter rotary high volume low pressure fuel pump for optimal performance.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The fuel filter should sit at least as high in the engine compartment as the carb's fuel inlet. It should also sit level horizontally.

This will prevent fuel from draining from the system, and the long cold starts should go away. Here's what my 258/Weber 32/36/regulator setup looked like.

Hope this helps,

Matt
fuelsetup2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.