Hard starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard starting

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
medunwoody
1985 CJ7 

Hard starting

I've got a CJ7 with a 1978 258 6 cyl engine that the only way I can get it started is to rotate the distributor clockwise about 20 degrees. As soon as it fires I have to rotate it back to about the right position. This motor had a previous owner who didn't exactly have a clue what he was doing with the wiring so right now I just have it hotwired. Does anyone know how to hook up the two boxes (one about 4x4x2" and the other about 4x2x2") that have a bunch of wires coming out of them? Could this have an effect on the hard starting and the need to rotate the distributor to get it started? Right now I just have a hot wire coming off the battery and going to the coil, bypassing these boxes all the way.
Thanks

medunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
cjjeeper258

Sounds like those boxes you describe are your timing/advance for the distributer. If I remembver correctly, I had one on my fender that controlled the spark advance or something to that effect. I never got a chance to mess with it since the original owner included an HEI setup with the Jeep and I installed it a week after I bought it.

Depending on how hacked the wiring is, you may want to just do the HEI upgrade and save some time.
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I agree with the HEI route, save some time and headaches. One thing I can think of, there was a wire coming off the starter solenoid that retards the spark during the crank cycle to help it fire. I think it was light blue but might be wrong. Maybe someone else knows what wire I am talking about.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.