Hard starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard starting

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 12-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
medunwoody
1985 CJ7 

Hard starting

I've got a CJ7 with a 1978 258 6 cyl engine that the only way I can get it started is to rotate the distributor clockwise about 20 degrees. As soon as it fires I have to rotate it back to about the right position. This motor had a previous owner who didn't exactly have a clue what he was doing with the wiring so right now I just have it hotwired. Does anyone know how to hook up the two boxes (one about 4x4x2" and the other about 4x2x2") that have a bunch of wires coming out of them? Could this have an effect on the hard starting and the need to rotate the distributor to get it started? Right now I just have a hot wire coming off the battery and going to the coil, bypassing these boxes all the way.
Thanks

medunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
cjjeeper258

Sounds like those boxes you describe are your timing/advance for the distributer. If I remembver correctly, I had one on my fender that controlled the spark advance or something to that effect. I never got a chance to mess with it since the original owner included an HEI setup with the Jeep and I installed it a week after I bought it.

Depending on how hacked the wiring is, you may want to just do the HEI upgrade and save some time.
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I agree with the HEI route, save some time and headaches. One thing I can think of, there was a wire coming off the starter solenoid that retards the spark during the crank cycle to help it fire. I think it was light blue but might be wrong. Maybe someone else knows what wire I am talking about.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.