Hard to start, bad idle, no power....... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard to start, bad idle, no power.......

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-18-2002, 10:42 AM   #16
livin2learn

Well as we have difference of opinions on the carb thing, I did do the TFI upgrade which was extremely nice.
In my opinion, I would not put a Carter on any vehicle ever again. As a matter of fact, I am worried that just having the old Carter in my garage is going to affect the way my Jeep runs, since it is so close, I figure the Carter will f#@k up my Jeep through Osmosis. Wouldn't be surprised.
I have never heard anyone complain about a Weber (except maybe price), until now. You know they sell a kit to use your original air filter and filter housing on a Weber K-551, maybe that will solve your filter issue.
I personally, like the filter set-up.
Anyhow, I think the bottom line we have all come to is that you need to focuse on your carb.
I would do the TFI upgrade also, it can not hurt in the long run, and you will see a noticeable difference.
Good Luck.

Unread 12-18-2002, 10:50 AM   #17
JMSCJ5

TFI

Where can I get the ignition parts from?
JMSCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2002, 10:53 AM   #18
Guy Hollister

The other small factor is that you are in Jeep-land - while I have the misfortune of living in injected-large shopping trundler land... as no one seems to be able to do a decent job of tuning here, no one knows sheet about jeeps - i mean REALLY ... and no one can give any solid advice.

I have spent thousands of 's on experiencing peoples lack of knowledge but great ability to bull**** their way to get you to pay them to work on your jeep.

I put the carb problem I currently have down to a Weber as thats what I have - and I have had everything else replaced. I know I need a Weber guru to tune it properly ... and I have yet to find one of those that lives over here - but if any of you dudes want to visit the UK to do some touristing... and want to tune a CJ7 while your here... be my guest... I even have a great friend who rents camper vans and would be happy to help you out.

kungfu ?

g
Unread 12-18-2002, 11:05 AM   #19
Guy Hollister

Getting the link to the entire parts list for you... both V8 and I6

g
Unread 12-18-2002, 12:25 PM   #20
livin2learn

Here you go

http://www.jeepz.com/offroad/howto/engine/tfi/index.htm

Hey Guy,
Buy that Weber Carb book from 4wd....I did, and it is pretty helpful. Although I haven't needed to make any major adjustments, it is pretty informative from what I saw glancing through it. I got it for when I need it....ya know?
Unread 12-18-2002, 12:30 PM   #21
Guy Hollister

Thats the one...

When it came to mounting the coil [a very square shaped item] I got a lump of alloy I bar and cut it in half - so i had 2 the same length ... then driled holes in each end of them and they fit nicely round the coil so i could relocate it anywhere dry and out of the way. Still hanging on as I by chance checked over everything under the bonnet yesterday. But the coil is rustin'... ah well only on th' surface.

g
Unread 12-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #22
livin2learn

I bought a TFI Coil bracket from the Ford Dealership. I told them I wanted it for an 87 Mustang. Then I mounted it on the fender well. I paid like $15 for the thing, and it fits perfects, just had to bend one piece on the braket. Looks good. (Oh yeah, the reason I used it from an '87-'89 Mustang is because they were mounted on the Fenderwell in the stock mustang for those years.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.