Hard hard ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hard hard ride

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
tiorocky

Hard hard ride

Hi all…. My first post.

I have a Jeep CJ7 with a 4 inch lift all done by new leaf-springs. I also have a front reverse shackle kit and Rancho 9000 shocks. The shocks are turned down to number 1, the softest setting. I also have 33 inch tires.

What I am looking for is info on how to make it ride softer in the dirt… the smallest of pebbles want to shack your teeth out..

Any suggestions other then a major suspension overhaul…

Thanks
tiorocky

tiorocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
RhinoJP
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiorocky View Post
I have a Jeep CJ7
Lol, there's your problem. Seriously though,what brand of springs? Some are notorious for having very stiff ride characteristics.
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

and how tight are your shackle bolts? and what PSI are you running in your tire? for that matter, what kind of tires?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
BrianABE
1985 CJ7 

haha, welcome to the CJ world for the most part. I've heard the YJ conversation helps the ride but maybe someone here who has done it can better answer that for you.
BrianABE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
tiorocky

Not sure, a few years back I had a 4 inch lift just using extended shackles… I took it to a reputable place and had them place stock shackles on it and installed lift using leaf springs…

Today I purchased a Chevy 350 and order headers, engine mounts and new radiator. I was hoping I could do something with the suspension while it’s apart for the engine change. One of my disadvantages is I live in La Paz Mexico… tuff getting parts shipped here…
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
tiorocky

Not new to this… I purchased the Jeep in 1986 when it was sold as a roll over at three months old… $1,500 back then from the insurance company…

General tires lowered to 26/28 psi… suggested 40 psi
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
tiorocky

Here is a pic of the hard riding moster...
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

As has already been stated...tire pressure (sounds like you're okay there), shackles too tight, crappy brand of springs. You need to find out what springs you have...if you've got something like Pro-Comp there ain't much you can do with them.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.