Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hard Fuel Lines in Intermediate CJ

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  AeroMoto73 
#1 ·
I've got a 73 that I'd like to put hard lines in. Right now I've got a TBI setup with an electronic fuel pump close to the gas tank. When I put it in I had a lot of trouble getting the hose clamps tight to keep my fuel pressure up. I've got it alright now, but there's a lot of potential failure points. Has anyone somehow ran hard lines from the fuel tank? Would it involve getting a new fuel sender with threads? :cheers:

#2 ·
Are you using fuel line clamps? Are you flaring the ends of the hard lines? I made all new lines on my 75 and had no issues going from hard to rubber.. I used fuel line clamps with a screw is all, (not hose clamps). Got them at o Reilly's for $6 I think.. same design on my subaru wrx that runs 50 psi+

#5 ·
I considered running SS hard lines on my build. Mocked some up out of 3/8" copper, then tried to bend the SS. Disaster. Especially if you don't have the commercial equipment used to bend SS.

Dumped the plan and went with braided SS lines and Russell -AN fittings. Much easier to work with.

#7 ·
That Looks nice !!!

Have you checked the Break line benders from most AP stores, They are like pliers in a way, but I have found if you go slow, and bend a lil at a time they do a great job for anything up to a -8 ... its a tight fit to get that size in there, and takes a lil bit of persuading, but will work and turns out clean .... I will post pics, I'm doing my lines here real soon,

#6 ·
I have a Local Hyd Line company that make DOT approved break lines and fuel lines etc, He can get me -8 feed and return lines, I'm running those the length of the frame and he is gonna weld on the proper fittings for me to hook to my fuel cell ( which is in the bed of the tub) via a short High pressure line with AN fittings, He quoted me 80 bucks, for both steel lines, with fittings, and the rear break line, all straight length with flares/fittings to hook it up .... I am gonna use metal loops with the rubber covers, You can get them from Harbor freight in packs. With self tapping screws into the frame.

But check to see if you have any local hyd shops, they can useally get this stuff cheaper, and in bulk to make as you want, I am gonna have add two fittings, half way down for a GM inline filter just for added filtration

#8 ·
Also not a fan of hose clamps... If it was leaking bad enough to have pressure issues, then fire would be my big concern. Rubber line is not the best idea for use with modern gasoline (ethanol eats rubber pretty bad). For flex line I would suggest PTFE (aka Teflon) hose with braided stainless steel exterior and AN fittings.

You could easily run hard line from the tank by cutting the nipple off (remove the flair) of the end of the supply line (sending unit) and adding a compression union between the two hard lines. The main problem there is dropping/installing the tank without a flexible line would be very difficult without kinking the hard line.

Have you considered using an in-tank pump? That would eliminate a couple of connections (potential failure points as you said).

#11 ·
I'm running this fuel pump, recommended on Binder Planet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DN7VME/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got a threaded fitting on one end, but a nipple on the other (I can't remember if it's the inlet or outlet end). I've got the pump clamped to the cross member forward of the tank with a rubber hose from the tank to the pump, and a rubber hose from the pump to the TBI. The rubber fuel line just worries me due to the failure points of hose clamps and hot exhaust.

#15 ·
The rubber fuel line just worries me due to the failure points of hose clamps and hot exhaust.
I'd use as little rubber hose as possible. Also, I like to run my flex line inside the frame box from the tank all the up to the engine compartment to protect it from exhaust heat and potential impact on the trail (like a box steel loom/conduit).

#14 ·
If your asking me, yes it is nylon braided fuel hose.. not just any vacuum hose lol. You can just do a single flare and it will be good. I used the hand tool for bending my fuel lines and managed to not have flats.. but you should consider making your turns longer radius if possible..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.