Hand throttle... yes or no - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hand throttle... yes or no

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hand throttle... yes or no

Fellow CJers

I'm thinking about adding a hand throttle to my 304 because of the winch I just installed. I also thought it would be a nice compliment with my T18 for the trails. I see some write ups on them, but was wondering what some of you guys/gals did to run yours. Pics would help from the carb stand point. I run a Eldebrock 4 barrel. My main concern is that I saw a guy nearly blow his engine from it sticking on and then revving up the motor to ear splitting rpms. What do you guys think? Anymore horror stories out there????

Thanks,

Nick

OlivergreenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

I've used mine quite a bit and liked it. Fairly simple set up...like installing a manual choke. As far as the horror stories, you could set it up to stop at a certain rpm's.

More than anything, I love the "what the heck is that??" comments I get from my buddies...I tell them it's a redneck cruise control.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

You defiantly want the twist and push style. Twist it up and down, push to completely release. To stop any over rev situations you need a positive throttle stop, but you should have one anyway.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I just have a manual choke on mine. That acts as a hand throttle for winching also. I just hold the gas pedal to 1250 rpm, pull on the choke, let off the gas pedal and push off the choke. The choke linkage is now on the fast idle cam at 1200 rpm until I burp the throttle and it drops back to idle. I have one step on the fast idle cam that sets 1200 rpm, the second from top step sets at 1750 rpm.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

My son's is a mountin bike brake lever and cable he got at REI. He mounted it on the shifter with the lever near the knob, ran the cable to the throttle and was good to go. Great on hills and never has had a problem with it.
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

I bought the kit from Rubicon Express. Great $29.00 upgrade. There's a tension nut on it if you want to tighten it up to maintain RPM's. It's like anything else, if you use your head there won't be any horror stories.
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

love mine and redneck factor is great!
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

My 47 has one from the factory to be used as a power take-off rpm regulator. I use it for the redneck cruise also. It is nice to have when driving over trails that that the hogs have torn up so your foot isn't always bouncing on the accelerator. I'm going to rig one up on my 67.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
Which goes for virtually anything except disease, ex wives and cooties.

Aside from that, I don't have a hand throttle but I have needed one many times crawling up bumpy rock trails. So it is on my list to do.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Jeeper75
1975 CJ5 

With the hand throttle wont the gas pedal move when using the hand throttle and vise versa?
Jeeper75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper75 View Post
With the hand throttle wont the gas pedal move when using the hand throttle and vise versa?
Yes, it kinda freaks you out at first, but you get used to it. I made one from old bike parts I had laying around my house. The MC2100 linkage is easy to adapt. It's real, real nice for when you stall on a steep hill and need 3 feet to get the jeep to start again. I had mine stick once, but I was already at full throttle and stopped 2" from the tree once I made it up the hill . You can always shut off the ignition if things go haywire.
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

I can't see where mine would ever get stuck. It's connected to throttle bracket and works off the spring, just like the gas pedal. It really comes in handy.
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Maryland95YJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i ran a cheap 6" piece of chain from the throttle to the cable so it will go slack when i'm using the gas pedal. highly recommend doing this. read the write ups, they help a ton.
Maryland95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I used a mountain bike shifter (non-indexed) and some bike cable - including the cable housing which is important. Mounted on the steering column. The cable itself is only long enough to allow me to rev the engine to about 2200 rpm, so no over-revving accidents there. I used some ball chain (from a toilet flush repair kit I found sitting around in the garage) and this allows the accelerator to do its thing by easily defeating the hand-throttle cable (the ball-chain simply droops out of the way). Other way around I suppose the hand-throttle does cause some movement of the accelerator pedal but since my foot ain't on it at the time I've never noticed. $20 and an hour or two of fiddling around.

I regularly drive up a really crappy road and the hand-throttle is nice to have since my foot tends to bounce on the gas pedal and that's annoying (I know, there's a skill involved in managing one's gas pedal and foot but it's a skill I don't have yet).

Here's my write-up in a bit more detail if you are interested:
Hand-Throttle (Small Craft Net)
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Ditto.
Works GREAT for things like when you are using on board welder, winch, or just plain need some relief from the throttle pedal.

I wired in the high idle solenoid for A/C to work electronically, but it was NEVER at the correct RPM, so I went back to cable... Works great and is cheap/easy to do.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.