Hammered Rustoleum pictures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hammered Rustoleum pictures

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 12-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
littleturner76
1984 CJ8 

Hammered Rustoleum pictures

I recently painted an old bed frame with rustoleum hammered paint for my son (silver) and it turned out quiet nice. I am in the process of painting and raptor lining my jeep but have to wait for the weather to turn this spring to finish. Question is........I plan to paint the dash, rollbar, tire carrier and more misc. parts with Rustoleum hammerred Black. What are your thoughts on this? I may add a hardener to speed up drying and maybe it will be more durable. does anyone have pics of there CJ's with this kind of paint or any experience with it?
here is how the bed turned out
Ryan Turner's Photos | Facebook

Last edited by littleturner76; 12-25-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
littleturner76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
BG33
1984 CJ7 

Not a big rust issue here in AL so I wire brushed most of my frame and used the black hammered on it and it looks great! Used the silver on some of the motor brackets and came out nice to. Guess I'll find out how durable as soon as the engine is running and get miles on it, but so far I like it. Good Luck.
BG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I tried Hammered Rustoleum on some Jeep parts and found it to be very easily chipped and scratched. I don't recommend it for anything that is subject to any abuse.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

i used it for a lot my under dash parts and seat frames.
i like the way the black looks. it doesn't require a primer, just a clean surface, and it sprays covers well even in the cold weather we've been having.

it covers well but it does seem like a very thin paint.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I tried Hammered Rustoleum on some Jeep parts and found it to be very easily chipped and scratched. I don't recommend it for anything that is subject to any abuse.
What is the product that you recommend. I remember you discussing this just can't remember what it was. . .hammerite?

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

I used the Rustoleum Hammered Black on the frame and other parts on my current CJ7 build. It looks good but I can't speak of it's durability. I have a test piece that I sprayed (in May) that is sitting outside on the side of my house to see how it holds up to the desert sun, only time will tell.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
What is the product that you recommend. I remember you discussing this just can't remember what it was. . .hammerite?
Yes, Hammerite is a far more durable finish than the Rustoleum Hammered.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I can no longer find the Hammerite stuff but I use a lot of Rustoleum and it needs 2 coats with a good bit of drying time. I let it bake in the summer sun. I have used this paint on my sliders with great success. Normal foot traffic on the tubes has no effect after 2 years. The harder hits are touched with a spray can. GOOD STUFF!
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

I used Hammered Enamel and then a coating of Herculiner - its as tough as woodpecker lips.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
MSBXCJ
1982 CJ7 

I just sprayed my frame yesterday with hammered black as well, so far so good
MSBXCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Here's that bracket I sprayed with it. I sand blasted it to bare metal and gave it 1 coat on top and left the bottom bare. It sat outside in the desert sun (and some rain) since May 09'. I don't know how much it'll fade over time....
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Rustoleum Hammered finish is on my CJ. It's peeling off the stainless hinges, and some of the fiberglass. Sticks good to steel and rust, though.
I wouldn't call it black, more like a dark gray. I'll be repainting, this spring.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

This stuff really needs two coats and 24-48 hrs drying time. It has hung on to the stainless parts ok but I did a heavy scuff sanding first. It can be purchased in cans for brush application.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am in the middle of stripping my yj to frame. I don't get tons of hours every day to work on it, so I pull what I can when I have time. If I can't work on it because of the time of day/night or I don't feel like it, I strip my hinges and plates and the body and try to get it all primed. I am using rustoleums grey basic auto primer. I plan on doing the frame and underbody in Hammered black, all body and tub parts in Hammered blue, and the hinges, flares, dash in a hammered gray. I plan on putting Chassis Saver on the underside first then priming and painting. I am still undecided on which bedliner to use inside the tub. I may go black or not, I am unsure. I don't want it getting too hot in the summer. So I may find one in a nice grey or something.
Endimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I do lots of things with the Rusto Hammered. I'm always sure to give it lots of drying time though. The finish seems to be a little better and more durable than just your average spray paint.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.