"Half Learned - Half Paid" Thread of the 80 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > "Half Learned - Half Paid" Thread of the 80 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

"Half Learned - Half Paid" Thread of the 80 CJ7

I am submitting a post to show off the results of the hard work and patience that has become an project a year or so in the making. I would say i am about 80% done (with the big thing being the engine swap to be finished this winter). I don't really have any mechanical experience, but I do have patience and the like to research and read as much as possible before I attempt to work on my jeep. I am lucky and proud to say that most of what I have picked up has been as a result of reading past threads and getting educated and thought out responses from members.

So to answer my "Half Learned - Half Paid" Title? Well, I also know my limits beings that I borrow garage space and have to drive a couple of hours to work on the jeep. I took the interior apart, rewired the dash, put a stereo and speakers, two security boxes, new bucket seats, painted the tire carrier and rear bumper, stripped and rhino lined the interior, reworked to Hard top Acme Fiberglass Doors, got on the Rally Top, and a few other odds and ends.

As for the "Half Paid" I feel like a General Contractor most of the time.

I had a shop in Jersey do the tub off work along with the fuel, brake lines, shocks, etc

I had the frame shipped from the Midwest (Jeremy from Throttle Down Kustoms - Does awesome work! And yes it's galvanized!)

As we speak the engine from a 1986 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup is being stripped down and put together by another shop in Jersey.

Hopefully within the next few weeks, the Iron Duke 151, SR-4, Dana 300, with 4.10 gears and about 95 HP will be replaced with a new 350 V8 / T400 Trans / NP 208 Transfer Case!! I will put some photos in the next post.

lbijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Some Photos

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Some Overall Photos of Interior and Exterior

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Donor Vehicle

1980-86 ? Chevy pickup with a 350. Bought it off CL with delivery from a real solid guy for a good deal. He said it was a plow truck for a company in PA. Seems like the original engine had been taken out, but that's still undecided.

I drove it around, shifted the gears, everything seemed to be working fine.

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

Looks good!
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Progress of 350 SBC

I have included photos of the Engine Build. As my previous posts said. I am learning, but leave the expert work to the people who know what they are doing. I knew an engine swap was past my ability....

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
table
2000 WJ 

The CJ looks great!

I'm assuming the first pic is what the Jeep looked like when you got it. How long did it take to get where you are now?

Keep us posted on the drivetrain.
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Final Mock Up and Assembly

Just got these photos.... Sweet! Any and all suggestions as to Exhaust Options would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 12-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
danheit
1979 CJ7 

That is one beautiful motor you have there!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
rrtex1
1981 CJ7 

Great Job, looks great. Can you tell me more about your seats and center console?
Unread 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Very nice!

On the exhaust, no matter if you go single or duals, you will want the tailpipes coming out the back corners on a 45 between the spring and frame. They should even have the turned down ends on them. In this configuration, the exhaust blows out and away rather than vortexing behind the tub which gets you bad fumes and CO.

I have gotten good service, performance and sound from Dynomax mufflers on both my Jeep engine and a couple 350 GM engines.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Seats and Center Console

I got the seats though Rugged Ridge (Omix-Ada).... They came flat out in a box and I have to say the quality is poor to very poor. The metal tubes that fall into the headrest have rusted, and there is a tear in the driver's side seat that I have to get repaired.

The console is a Tuffy product. I installed the detachable stereo face plate and put the amplifier mounted in a vertical position in the locking storage area. I also have a tuffy under the seat drawer that is beneath the fold and tumble rear seat.

Last edited by lbijeep; 12-14-2009 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Unread 12-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

Nice build. What type of leaf springs is on that? Looks like a 3 leaf system... Hows the ride?

Have fun w/ the exhaust!!! I have a sbc in mine and that's the single biggest problem I've had - Well, that and the front DS clearing the bell housing... Gotta lift her now while the tub's off.
martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
lbijeep
1980 CJ7 

Ride

The ride is great for a CJ. My ride in an Explorer or Pathfinder is sometimes as rough. I had the "Death Wobble", and they adjusted the castor angle. I think that has helped.

So with the stock lift, are you saying that there may be some clearance issues with the drive shaft and engine placement with the SBC? I am looking for any and all suggestions as to the roadblocks I may run into. I am hoping with the lift, it may reduce the amount of drive shaft angles.
Unread 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

Your springs aren't stock - what brand are they??? Custom? - just never seen a 3 leaf pack before...

Ya, I have a '76 CJ7 with a chevy 350 -T400 - quadratrac tc. I have stock (I think) leaf packs on there now ,and they are not quite flat, but definitely sagging a bit. The PO put in lift shackles, so I'm approx 1.75" above stock / saggy ride height. There is a good bit of evidence of rubbing on the front DS. See pic below. Just something to look at. I'm not sure you're going to have a problem, because you have more arch/lift in your springs than I do, and you're running a different tc, but you'll want to jack up the passenger side of the axle & check clearances / maybe adjust bump stop a bit. A little rubbing and you could develop a pretty bad vibration in the drive shaft.

There's not a really good way to run the exhaust collectors around the oil pan on the passenger side, and you either end up under or over the drive shaft. If you go out by the frame rail, there's not much room to bring them together, and (at least in PA) then you have to get 2 cat's if you go with a dual exhaust... My passenger side collector is crushed by the Ujoint on the front DS, and It's restricted a bit and will get addressed now that I'm pulling it apart.
martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.