Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

H1 Gearbox Upgrade

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  monty123 
#1 ·
I have a 1976 CJ7 with 258 engine and power steering and my gearbox is leaking bad! I would like to go with a H1 gearbox upgrade. I've been reading the threads on this and I think it is pretty straight forward. My question is: Can anyone who has done this give me the exact parts I need to do this swap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
Cardone® Remanufactured - Power Steering Gear Part # 27-7595

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/277595/02840.oap?year=2001&make=AM%2BGeneral&model=Hummer&vi=1370731&ck=Search_steering+box_1370731_3813&keyword=steering+box

The only other issue is that your Jeep being prior to 1980 will have standard threads on the PS hoses and the new box will be metric. You'll need to replace your hoses to the gearbox with newer versions (tell the folks at the counter you have an 81-86 CJ), and then get an adapter (metric to standard... sorry I don't have the part number on hand, but they are pretty easy to get) for the HP hose at the pump end. Or better yet, you could get a newer version (81-86 CJ) of the PS pump that will have the metric fittings (that's what I would do).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.