Gushing white smoke but runs fine? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gushing white smoke but runs fine?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

If it were the head gasket, wouldn't it run really hot and overheat?

Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

The drip is coming from the header/head pipe coupling and it is black... Which I guess means fuel
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

if your mechanic "changed" the oil after it dumped fuel into the block it should not be a problem. if it were me i would change the oil again and check it for gas. also i recommend that you do what Matt1981CJ7 described and work from there.
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlaughlin8 View Post
The drip is coming from the header/head pipe coupling and it is black... Which I guess means fuel
It's quite normal for the exhaust to drip, or spray, a little liquid when warming up. That is just condensation that develops as the system cools down being forced out. Often times it will have black sooty deposits in it, if your exhaust system is old. The drip/spray should go away in just a few seconds as the pipes heat up.

As for over-heating, I think it depends on the size of the leak. Yes, a major head gasket failure will cause over-heating, a small leak may not.

Have you even pulled the plugs to see what they look like?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

No, I haven't pulled the plugs. I know they are new along with the wires rotor, fuel pump, water pump, the head was redone new head gasket Ect...ill have to check them when I get home from work
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

My first jeep did this. Turns out the breather hose for the T400 was hooked to vacuum. Tranny fluid = white smoke
VooDoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

I guess there are major problems... Oil coming out from exhaust along with the smoke, and the spark plugs are black. What went wrong with my rebuild?
image-909144662.jpg  
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Unread 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

I would not touch another thing until you talk to the mechanic that did the work. The more you investigate yourself, the more you give the mechanic leverage for denial.

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
smokeone
1985 CJ7 

I'll almost garuntee it's the gasket. Like I said my brothers head gasket went south because when he bolted it down he forgot to tourqe it and it was fresh rebuild also. I would be making the rebuilder repair it and dont't take it back until it's repaird properly. If the water gets in the oil it will wash the bearings and then it will need another rebuild.
smokeone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
..... What went wrong with my rebuild?
THAT, is a question for the "mechanic" that did the work for you. As said, don't touch a thing and take it straight back to them.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #27
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Either wrong or completely fubared valve seals could be a pretty strong possibility.

The guys are right, though. Stop right there or he might pull some d-bag move and say "well, you tinkered with it so... blah blah blah".

Shawn
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
tjeep1
1978 CJ7 

i agree tell the engine builder and see if he wants to tow it there, i wouldnt even drive it. dont touch a thing thats just ammo for his incompatence on the build
tjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

He won't do that to me, he's a family friend and we are bartering work with each other... He's doing my motor rebuild and I'm welding up a big car port for his shop...
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
He won't do that to me, he's a family friend and we are bartering work with each other... He's doing my motor rebuild and I'm welding up a big car port for his shop...
Oh good. Let's hope it's something simple like a bad valve seal/s.

Good luck with it!

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.