Grounding after fiberglass tub install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Grounding after fiberglass tub install

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Grounding after fiberglass tub install

Transferring everything to a new frame and had to purchase a fiberglass tub due to rust. Anyway, using the old wiring harness for under the dash and to the rear lights. Have everything plugged back in but there is obviously a ground problem. I'm using the old steal dashboard.

I'm wondering if it can be fixed by installing a ground from the main fuse box/wiring harness, plug assembly at the firewall, under the dash. I'm hoping I don't have to specifically ground every individual thing.

Thanks for any tips you can send my way

Dan
1978 CJ7 build

danfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
jammer1

Run the ground directly from the battery. I put a junction block on the side of the tub under the dash. Two grounds from the battery, one directly to the dash, the other to the junction block. Any additional grounds I need can be connected to the junction block. Once you have the dash grounded, anything touching the dash that would normally use the dash for a ground should be grounded. Make sure the gauges and lights have a good ground. I've heard that you can burn out the gauges if they don't have a good ground. For the rear lights I drilled and tapped a hole in the frame and installed a bolt. From this I ran the grounds. Make sure you use a thick gauge wire from the battery to the dash and also to the junction block.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

That's 100% the way I did it. Glass tub, steel dash, glass nose.
http://www.grainger.com/product/QUIC...AS01?$smthumb$
http://www.bizrate.com/belden-sc13b1...026832401/shop
All "long term borrowed" from Verizon truck. These all come in different lengths
Don't forget a Buss Bar on the cowl. http://www.delcity.net/store/Stud!Ty...Blocks/p_73275 Try to find one w/an enclosed lid.
Good luck

Last edited by hutch1200; 08-23-2014 at 11:50 PM..
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Don't forget all the light fixtures need a ground to their cases for the signals to work. The ground that is there is only for the running lights. I originally ran an extra wire in each loom piece to pick these up, but now have a Centech harness that came with the extra ground wires. My wiper motor also didn't much like using the hinges for a ground so I ran a dedicated one to one of its mounting bolts.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Okay... Besides running a wire from the ground of battery directly to the steal dash, you put in a ground junction box under the dash too? That's something that has multiple screw in points to run ground wires under the dash as needed... Right?
Unread 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
jammer1

Correct, as you add on to the jeep, you now have a good ground to run to. I forgot to mention I also ran one to the drivers side fender for future projects. This is a kit, I made my own up (cheaper and more heavy duty). But this gives you the idea http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcat...v.php?sl=40026
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Got it. Makes total sense now. Really appreciate the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.