grinding noise under jeep cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > grinding noise under jeep cj7

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
a1980jeepcj7
1980 CJ7 

grinding noise under jeep cj7

When my 80 cj7 is moving, it sounds like the tranny is grinding really bad. I have a 4 speed and believe its a t176 tranny but not sure. I put a new release bearing, input bearing, pressure plate, and clutch in it and its still grinding just as bad. any ideas?

a1980jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Hows your U-joints look?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

Is it only when its moving? My starter was hanging up on the fly wheel. It did it most of the time stopped or moving. Just a thought.
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Hows your U-joints look?
What are symptoms of bad u-joints? Also, can a weekender change those?
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

if you get under the vehicle and grab each proposhaft you can feel if there is any play at all in the joints at the end. If so they need changing.

I have seen up to 1/2" of play in neglected joints but they make vibration, not grinding.

To change you need the following tools:

- a vise
- a hammer
- a pair of pliers
- some odd nuts and bits and bobs of metal
- spanners

Unbolt the driveshaft and remove, takes less than 5 minutes. If you jack the vehicle up put it on stands but most you can get under without jacking which is MUCH safer. Get it on the bench and you will see the joint is held into the yoke on the shaft with a circlip in each end. Prise out the clips. You now need to force it out and puting it in a vise with several nuts etc to exert force on it will get it to move, I just beat it with a hammer and punch on the ground though this takes longer on old joints.

When you have it apart the bearing cups will drop off and you may find a lot of black dust and metal filings. This was your bearing.

Getting it back together make sure you lube the joint well before you install. There are needle bearings inside most of them so make sure you do not let them drop out and load them up with good quality bearing grease and pressure grease them once on, lubing the sliding joint as well. Lack of grease is a cause of failure.

The only other thing to know is that the shafts are balanced and the two parts are on a sliding joint that will drop apart. Mark them first so you get them back on the same way round or it will vibrate.

With practice (yes, you will get practiced) you can get them apart and replaced in about 30 minutes with simple hand tools.

However the grinding noise may be something else.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the information.
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Fatbook
1983 DJ 

Cat!

Tags
cj , clutch , grinding , noise , tranny

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.