Grinding noise question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Grinding noise question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
kward
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Grinding noise question

Every once and awhile when I start my jeep with the clutch pushed in I get a loud spinning/grinding noise that goes away when I let the clutch out or after about 5 seconds. Is this my throwout bearing? When I decide to drop the trans and take a look what parts should I change for the simple fact that I already have the trans out of the jeep so I not going back in 2 years later? Thanks for the help everyone!!!

kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

I would bet this is your pilot bushing actually... could be your throwout bearing.. but really sounds like the pilot bushing.

When you drop the trans.. I, personally, would take off the clutch and flywheel.. have the flywheel machined, get a new clutch (I used LUK), get new pilot bushing, get new throwout bearing.

Couldn't hurt to drain the trans.. pop the cover and look around.

That should make you good to go man!
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I tend to agree with the previous post. It could be either the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing/bushing.

If it goes away after you let the clutch out or after about 5 seconds with the clutch pedal depressed, I'd tend to look at the pilot bearing/bushing...

because, if it was a throwout bearing problem, it normally would keep doing it as long as the clutch pedal was depressed.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
brandon20

just went threw it. thats the throwout bearing. when pulling tranny i replaced throwout bearing,disk,pressure plate,pilot bushing,clutch fork,fly wheel and the whole manual linkage system i also replaced the rear main seal and oil pump and pan,
brandon20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.