Grinding noise after speeding up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Grinding noise after speeding up

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Unstable
1981 CJ5 

Grinding noise after speeding up

Well after a hell of a trip, and uhaul rental, I finally made it to my destination. But my cj5 is just sitting.

While on the road my rear seal went out. Went to 6 auto parts stores and finally found the seal that I needed. Dropped the rear part of the drive shaft and left the u joint alone. Removed the yoke, took out that seal and cleaned up the inside. After replaced the seal and put everything back together. Checked the fluid in the rear, front, and transfer case and everything is holding.

Made it about 60 more miles when I started hearing this grinding noise so I pulled off the road and stopped. I couldn't figure it out because I had to be moving around 30 mph for it to start. Gears were shifting fine, so it didn't feel like teeth.

I asked a jeep guy when I got down to north Carolina what he thought. He said possibly when I reinstalled the yoke, I didn't torque wrench it making the ring and pinion slide around in the differential while driving. Does this sound like the problem? If so how much tension do I need? How can I tell if my ring and pinion is bad without dismantling it ( don't have a garage right now ).

Its a Dana 300.

Thanks guys, sorry using my phone to type!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

By rear seal I am assuming you mean the rear axle pinion seal correct? If so you friend is correct, do a little searching and you will find the proper procedure for replacing this seal. It's more complicated than just yanking the pinion nut and putting it back on. I would not drive it until it is fixed. You can pull the diff cover and check the ring and pinion to see if its damaged.

Tags
cj5 , dana300 , grinding , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.