grinding noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > grinding noise

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-31-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
83 cj-7 258

grinding noise

When im going between 5-20 mph i hear a gringing noise coming from the drivetrain. My 1st thought that the tc was in the 4wd, but it was not. Then I checked the hubs , they were also in the 2wd position . I know the throw out bearind is shot, so could the noise be coming from the piolt bearing.
THANKS!

Unread 01-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Neither your pilot bushing or your throw out bearing should be engage while driving at 5-20 mph. It could be any number of things including your transmission &/or t'case. Does it do it when you are in different gears/going faster? Does it do it on acceleration/decelleration? Louder on acceleration/deceleration? Is the noise louder/quieter with the clutch in?
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Does it do it in all gears, or only in first? Does it change if you ride the cluch pedal? Does it change under acceleration? Deacceleration? Might also check front wheel bearings and disc brake pads and backing plates.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

grinding noise

Sounds like it is time for some new U joints.
caseypotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
83 cj-7 258

It only does it in 1st gear and it does not get louder. Its the same under acceleration and deacceleration. Once i put the clutch in the noise stops. It doesn't always grinds. It sounds like it is coming from the clutch area or the front driveshaft. I dont think its the brakes because it sounds like its coming from the center of the jeep.
THANKS!
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Unscrew the transmission cover and look inside for chipped teeth or a bad 1st gear synchro. Drive it around slowly with the cover off to see if you can identify the noise better.
Unread 01-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like he said
Unread 01-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The fact that it only does it in first indicates a trans problem. You need to pull the shift cover and take a look. You need to inspect the shift forks for wear, bending. Make sure the forks haven't sheared the roll pins connecting them to the rails. Be sure there isn't damage to the reverse shift mechenism causing the reverse idler gear to come in contact with the first gear. Put the lide on,shift into first, then carefully remove the lid and inspect the gear mesh. Again, be sure to look at the reverse idler. Problems other than shifting are bad countershaft bearings/thrust washers,bad output bearing, worn first gear thrust washer.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
83 cj-7 258

sometimes when i put it in to reverse it grinds, you can hear and feel it. this is only at a stop when going into reverse. now I remenber a few days ago i was at a stop light, light turned green jeep stalled out of no where. Fired it back up hopped on the gas ans heard a very bag grinding noise. stopped at a gas station ever thing locked fine , so i headed home with coution. Would this have to do with grinding noise, even though the noise was there before the inncident.
THANKS!
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
83 cj-7 258

i finally found the problem. Its when i have my foot resting on the clutch, and the reason i dont hear it in any other gears is because the jeep gets to loud to hear it. I know my throw out bearing is shot because when im netural it rattles like crazy. Can I replace the throw out bearing without removing the trans.
THANKS!
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

You sure can... remove the engine... DOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83 cj-7 258
i finally found the problem. Its when i have my foot resting on the clutch, and the reason i dont hear it in any other gears is because the jeep gets to loud to hear it. I know my throw out bearing is shot because when im netural it rattles like crazy. Can I replace the throw out bearing without removing the trans.
THANKS!
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You have to separate the engine from the transmission. Personally, I would pull the transmission and tranfercase out and leave the engine in. Some people go the other way. While I had it apart I would pull the transmission cover and give everything a good look see. It would also be a good time to repair any leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.