grinding hubs question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > grinding hubs question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
daviddelamuerte
1986 CJ7 

grinding hubs question

I have a 86 cj7 with a recent(4 months ago) 2 1/2 suspension lift and tires. It has run and felt great for quite awhile but in the last few weeks I have gotten a vibration/ grinding from what seems like the passenger side front wheel area. It happens when I hit a bump or pot hole becomes very noticeable and then the vibration/ grinding goes away after half a mile or so. When this happens there doesn't seem to be any difference in how it drives. However when I lock the hubs whether in 4 wheel drive or not the problem never arises no matter what I drive over or through. I'm assuming it's the wheel hub from what I've read and heard. I just wanted to know if anyone has any previous experience with this that may be helpful or to let me know that I'm looking in the wrong places before I start ordering parts and tearing the jeep apart in the freezing cold and wasting my time. thanks.

daviddelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Could be wheel bearings, brakes, could be a number of things. First thing you need to do is start taking it apart to see what you find. Jack it up and see if the wheel is loose, then pull the tire and keep looking till you find something. Don't buy parts till you have found the problem!

Good Luck!!
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Aside from checking the obvious bearings and hubs. One time I went to a tire shop to have them swap a tire on a rim for me. Afterwards as I drove out my right front was grinding. I thought they screwed something up. Apparently the brake caliper was so close to the wheel that a slight movement/bump of it put it into the inside lip of the wheel. A couple minutes whith a file on a corner of the caliper solved the problem. Im not saying this has happened to you, but its worth a look. Mine had a tiny groove in the wheel and a shiny spot on the caliper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.