Great video on understanding & setting ignition timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Great video on understanding & setting ignition timing

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Great video on understanding & setting ignition timing

I ran across this video about setting ignition timing and thought I'd pass it along. The last couple of minutes of the video are tilted toward the MSD products, but the first 4 or 5 minutes are informative and well done:

YouTube - How to set your ignition timing

Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
desert_driller
1983 CJ7 

Ken4444. That is a great explanation of how to set timing. I respect and applaud this great video. I have done it the same way for twenty years. Of course, the goal should be to set timing to what the shop manual says. No more. Now I want to set my timing to what is my best performance. I use a vacuum gauge.

The vacuum gauge takes into account what gas you use in the Jeep. Is it 87 or 91 octane? Also, how are those cylinders? and what is your gas-air mixture? By the way, do you live at sea level, or at ten thousand feet? Do you use synthetic oil or 10w30? What is your spark plug gap? No other method can tune your engine to its best performance like a vacuum tune up.

First: Disconnect the vacuum advance from your distributor and plug it.
Second: Gently rotate distributor to find the highest constant idle vacuum.
Third: Again gently rotate the distributor to drop the vacuum 1".
Fourth: Tighten it and recheck your carburetor settings.

See you on the road!

Last edited by desert_driller; 01-05-2010 at 10:11 PM..
desert_driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Great Video!

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
JayCO
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I ran across this video about setting ignition timing and thought I'd pass it along. The last couple of minutes of the video are tilted toward the MSD products, but the first 4 or 5 minutes are informative and well done:

YouTube - How to set your ignition timing
Ken... I just read your entire build thread, and learned a ton! I'm about to do the Team Rush upgrade to my new to me '82 CJ7, and wanted to understand more about ignition timing. This link is fantastic.

Thanks!
JayCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice video.

Now they need to do another video explaining the vacuum advance, and the totally different function it serves on timing and engine performance.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_driller View Post
First: Disconnect the vacuum advance from your distributor and plug it.
Second: Gently rotate distributor to find the highest constant idle vacuum.
Third: Again gently rotate the distributor to drop the vacuum 1".
Fourth: Tighten it and recheck your carburetor settings.
Would this work with an HEI on manifold vac?

I have my setup with ported-vac, and timed traditionally. (ie no vac advance at idle, etc). Everyone says that manifold-vac is better for the HEI, but I've never seen a good writeup on how to properly time it, apart from the "turn until it pings" method.

I already have a vac guage setup in the jeep. I installed it years ago when I thought I had a problem that it would diagnose for me.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I wish the "set timing with a vacuum gauge" myth would go away. Sorry, but it's a terrible way to do this simple task.

It's likely to lead to timing that is far too advanced, causing detonation. Get a timing light and do it right.

A vacuum gauge can be used to set air/fuel mixture with good success, but not timing.

Matt
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I wish the "set timing with a vacuum gauge" myth would go away. Sorry, but it's a terrible way to do this simple task.

It's likely to lead to timing that is far too advanced, causing detonation. Get a timing light and do it right.

A vacuum gauge can be used to set air/fuel mixture with good success, but not timing.

Matt
Matt, you may be totally correct, but what are you basing your opinion on?

Will the correct timing not always create the highest vacuum readings?

Is the old adage use as much total advance as you can without causing detonation still correct? Or is there another way to create power?

I do not pretend to know the answer, I'm just trying to learn.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Scrapman,

I base my opinion on having tried the vacuum timing method on my ol' 258, and I know the results.

As you advance the initial timing at idle, the RPMs and vacuum will continue to rise well past 20* BTDC. "Backing it off 1" Hg", as the myth suggests, is still likely to result in an initial that's north of 20*. Nobody in their right mind would run a 258 with that much initial. It's likely to rattle like a can of marbles under load with that much. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

If you don't have a dyno, the best way for the average shade-tree mechanic to set timing is exactly as the above video describes....set the maximum total timing to around 35* at 3000-3200 RPM, then play with spring weights to adjust how fast the centrifugal timing begins to kick in.

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.