Great Day! Got my CJ7 to start. Now I have a tach wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Great Day! Got my CJ7 to start. Now I have a tach wiring question

New rockridge 4wd sales rep!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 08-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
TnKanRick
1983 CJ7 

Great Day! Got my CJ7 to start. Now I have a tach wiring question

I recently did a dash rehab / reinstallation and couldn't get my Jeep to start after the reinstall. I added an aftermarket Crown tach to the dash. The instructions for the Crown tach said not to use the factory tach wiring. So, I removed the factory tach wire going to the distributor side of the coil and hooked the Crown tach to the distributor side of the coil.

I've spent the last few days trying to figure out why the Jeep would no longer start and it turns out that removing the factory tach wire from the coil was the reason. Once I hooked the factory tach wire back up to the coil the Jeep started right up. So now I have a quandary. Do I hook both the Crown tach wire and the factory tach wire to the coil. I'm sorta afraid if I do it will fry my Crown tach.

Anybody know for sure?

Unread 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

What's wrong with the OEM Tach?
Much better than Crown--
LG
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Sounds to me like he never had one which is why he 'added an aftermarket Crown tach to the dash.'
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Sounds to me like he never had one which is why he 'added an aftermarket Crown tach to the dash.'
That is possible-
LG
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Factory tachometer never hooked up to the coil, it is in "series" with the ignition wiring. A wire plug gets pulled apart under the dash to connect the factory tach.

A crown tachometer connects as like any other aftermarket tachometer does. 12V+, Grd and Coil tach (-) for signal which is green. Plus another wire for dash lighting which I believe is white in color.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
TnKanRick
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
A crown tachometer connects as like any other aftermarket tachometer does. 12V+, Grd and Coil tach (-) for signal which is green. Plus another wire for dash lighting which I believe is white in color.
Yes, my Jeep did not have a factory tach but nonetheless has the factory wiring for a tach. Should I attach both the factory tach green wire and the Crown tach green wire to the (-) side of the coil?
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Mmm, not sure what you mean? There is no green wire for a factory tachometer to connect to the coil.

Are you planning on using two tachometers? One factory and one aftermarket.

Back of factory tach pictured, no green wire. Just red w/tracer and an orange that connect to factory ignition plug under dash and a black and orange for lighting.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnKanRick View Post
Yes, my Jeep did not have a factory tach but nonetheless has the factory wiring for a tach. Should I attach both the factory tach green wire and the Crown tach green wire to the (-) side of the coil?
the only factory wire connected to the (-) post of the coil is the wire from the ignition module that tells the coil when to fire, if you disconnect this the engine doesn't run. So yes leave it connected and attach the wire for your new tach with it.
Requiem4aCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
CSP

That part of the instructions about removing the factory tach is only applicable if you had a factory tach to begin with. No factory tach = no tach wire at the coil, but there are other wires as already noted.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

The crown tach hooks up to the negative side of your coil. I believe it's the green wire. I bought one to use with my 4.0 swap and it didn't work initially, I had to set the back to 4cyl to get it to work. I'm not sure if that is the same for the 258 set up.
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
TnKanRick
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys. That all makes sense now. I made the assumption (yes... rarely a good idea) that the "tach side of the coil" meant that the only thing that could possibly be attached to that side were tach related wires. As Homer Simpson would say.... "DOOH!" I'm seriously red-green colorblind which makes working on wiring that much more of a challenge.... especially in low or artificial light conditions. Thanks again for all the help and replies.
Unread 10-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
mapesful
1985 CJ7 

I recently bought a 85 CJ7 and the previous owner removed the dash and all the gauges completely. Would the tachometer cause my jeep not to start?
mapesful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
jjgrow
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Plus another wire for dash lighting which I believe is white in color.
Dumb question, but where do we connect this white tach illumination wire? I've installed an OEM-style tach and just need to connect to the dash light circuit.

1986 CJ-7
jjgrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I believe it went into the fuse box originally.

There is a plug called CLK with a little arrow, left side next to the 10 amp ACC fuse.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapesful View Post
I recently bought a 85 CJ7 and the previous owner removed the dash and all the gauges completely. Would the tachometer cause my jeep not to start?
If it had a factory tach then yes, Just unpluging it would prevent the engine from running
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.