Gravel roads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gravel roads

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 03-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
MeCasa

Gravel roads

I have decided to keep my CJ as stock as possible as my useage requires more gravel road runnin' than rock crawling.

I have removed the power steering belt as I find it dangerous. The ability to oversteer and thus f*ck up big time at high speed is greater than the problem of banging into something because I couldn't turn fast enough, so.....

I don't want no lift kit, I run 31" AT tires and I would like to supplement the suspension and stabilze the steering without a lift.

As for the steering, what would be a good steering stabilizer? Is the double unit worth it? I currently have NO stabilizer, so what would you suggest?

I want to run double shocks as I like to drive fast and hard and thus abuse my suspension and shake my brain, what is the best way to add shocks in a way to spare my brain, should I buy a factory kit or just buy shocks and mount them as I think best?

Thanks
MeCasa

MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa
I have decided to keep my CJ as stock as possible as my useage requires more gravel road runnin' than rock crawling.

I have removed the power steering belt as I find it dangerous. The ability to oversteer and thus f*ck up big time at high speed is greater than the problem of banging into something because I couldn't turn fast enough, so.....

I don't want no lift kit, I run 31" AT tires and I would like to supplement the suspension and stabilze the steering without a lift.

As for the steering, what would be a good steering stabilizer? Is the double unit worth it? I currently have NO stabilizer, so what would you suggest?

I want to run double shocks as I like to drive fast and hard and thus abuse my suspension and shake my brain, what is the best way to add shocks in a way to spare my brain, should I buy a factory kit or just buy shocks and mount them as I think best?

Thanks
MeCasa
How about you just slow the f*&% down?

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

There are *much* better vehicles than a CJ for what you want to do. AWD, literally something like an Outback can really rip on a gravel road. Lower CG, softer springs, open diffs, good front-to-rear balance, etc.

Best is to slow down. You'll quickly beat things apart that can't take the vibration's you'd generate, like the radiator.

Maybe an enduro bike would be better for your use.
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
MeCasa

Did I tune into a Jeep Gospel session?

I don't care what ya'll do with your CJ's, twist them suckers up so they make spiderman seem constricted, but..........

I stated my useage and asked for intelligent suggestions on my needs, I already own bikes and I fail to see how that affects my CJ useage

I would hope the next poster understands my needs and gives me intelligent advice
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
chevyguy76
1981 CJ5 

Hey,

My 81 c-j does fine with power steering on gravel just have to use a little commen sence. i have driven some vehicles that the power steering has gone out on and they are quite dangerous. they dont seem to steer well at all, a power steering sector is ment to work with the pump working without it they are a bear and unsafe.

Not tryin to preach just giving my advice.

My jeep has a single stabilizer and seems to work great. dont know about the double shocks, I always thought they were more for off road then on road driving.

Anyway good luck and keep her out of the ditches( unless thas were you are driving it at the time lol )

Chevyguy
chevyguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
redlinedcj

well if i were to do what your doing i would widen it as much as i can it will make it feel much more stable it will handle better and it will be much safer

and get a nice roll cage
redlinedcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Aphelion79

Ah, Rally Racing, eh? Its all about CG... you want to be as low and wide as possible... but still have enough travel to keep the bouncies from tearing your Jeep apart... You may want to look into what people did for suspension setups before independent suspensions became avaliable... stability is what you need to strive for... I doubt anyone around here would be able to help you much, unfortiunately...

Although, realize the Jeep has an inherantly crappy CG when it comes to tipping Do whatever you can to combat that!

Also, realize even rally cars flip and crash and burn... drive safely... do NOT push the limits without trying what feels comfortable a WHOLE HECK-OF-A-LOT of times! Your driving style may not change... but the surfaces you drive on will... and you need to be able to adapt to them without even thinking... rally racing is a LOT more dependent on driver skill than you'd think...
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I have a spare manual steering box that I'll gladly trade for your power unit.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
ChiliPepperTJ

Just wondering is it the powersteering that makes it oversteer, or do you have something worn in the front end, that would make it seem funny. Have you checked out the steering components? Are you actually racing this thing, or is it just recreational activity? Sounds kinda fun...
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
kbtriumph

The best way to get a Heep to go fast on dirt roads is to start with a TJ. They have a much better suspension to take fast dirt stuff.

Double shocks are pretty easy if you fab up a shock loop for them.

If you want manual steering get a manual box. The power box is built for power and will not work correctly with no pressure.

After all of the steering is working well is the time to put on a stabilizer. It can mask problems that will become apparent at high speed. One or two is up to you and the terain that you are on.
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #11
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I would change out the power steering box for a manual stearing one, It will make it easier to turn you wheel. I would lower the pressure in your tires a bit, it will soften up the ride, and put more rubber to the ground. A shackle reversel would soften the ride, and a YJ suspension swap would help too. I have a single rancho steering stabilizer, but I am not sure what series. If you do the YJ swap, you can put softer springs on it. With the solid axel up front, there is only so much you can do. I have seen somewhere, maybe either 4wd hardware cataloge(sp) or JP magazine, about a the first bucket seat that has a built in suspion into it, so your person doesnt bounce around as much.

As far as the slowing down goes, why the hell would you want to do that, unless you are broke and cant afford the gas.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hmmm.. a Rally CJ?... I think I'd try to setup sort of like a Baja truck with a super low CG. Quality stock height or small lift springs (maybe 1.5" RE SOA springs run SUA). A set of Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks in something like 12" travel. Wouldn't worry about a steering stabilizer.. Might swap in something like a Camaro steering box (variable ratio). Run Widetrack axles, Full Width Truck axles or wheel spacers to gain width. I'd also dig around in the circle track sites for universal anti-sway bars and run them front and rear. Lastly, I'd make sure to have a full cage tied in to the frame, ditch the windshield frame, ditch whatever top I had and mount a wing on top of the cage to provide down force.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

When I was road ralleying in Ohio (Fiat 128), I don't think jeeps were even allowed to compete because they were to dangerous to prone to flipping. Maybe that has changed now. It's been about 23 years.

I live on streets that are just chip seal and when they resurface it, it's scary at speed. I have seen pickups leave the road just because their wheels spend half the time suspended in air when going over the bumpy parts. You can't turn in the air.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

the best thing to rember is you are driving a jeep not a car the steering can be faster then some of the older cars my dad had a 69 Chevelle and he always took the jeep to go to town because it steered easer then the car with power steering
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
MeCasa

No racing, I travel wilderness areas and gravel is a way of life, I've also got a lead foot <shrug>. The power steering is not a problem on gravel, it's a problem burning down the interstate, a large semi knocks you over and the power steering makes it difficult to 'feel' the truck, personal preference I'm sure, but I also have a CJ5 and removed the power steering on it years ago. All the running gear on my truck is like new and there is very little if any play. However that said, buying a manual steering box is a good idea, a rebuilt gear box is $174 and the matching steering column shaft is $154, affordable. I would leave the power steering pump installed and keep the gear box in case I wanted to swap back. Thanks for the advice

As far as the steering stabilizer, does anybody have experience on the differences between a single and a double and/or various brands

Double shocks, I'm curious if running doubles will cushion the ride if I raise the truck an inch or two while I install the brackets. I would hope the shocks would cushion the truck before it has a chance to bottom out. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here, hehe, but theoretically I ought to be able use shocks to cushion the ride. Has anybody tried it?

PS: A full roll cage is already under construction including bars tying in the front of the cage with the front bumper, I'm installing safety chains from the motor to the frame to keep the 304 out of my seat. I'm also constructing auxillary gas tanks that will completely utilize the rear quarter/upper wheel well area. I'll be running forty gallons when necessary and at 12 mpg it doesn't last long, not to mention gas stations are few and far between in wilderness areas. I also have built in water tanks but I'll show you them later when I can post some pics.

Thanks for the advice, give me more :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.