Got the "new" '78 into the shop. A few questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got the "new" '78 into the shop. A few questions...

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Got the "new" '78 into the shop. A few questions...

OK. Got the "new" '78 home to the shop, and dropped the gas tank, which I knew was leaking when I bought it. New tank, vent, and filler hose ordered and on it's way. Since I can now take a look at it up close I have a few issues and questions.

1. Is there any reason why the fuel lines to the tank can't be 3 inches longer ? Hopefully I'll never have to drop this sucker again, but I would think 3" would "curl" up nicely under there and allow old arthritic hands a little more space to work with.

2. The WORST rust on the WHOLE damn thing is on the passenger side of the windshield frame. (see pics). After I laid the windshield down, I thought I could repair it, but it goes further than initially thought. I'm thinking I should just get a replacement ? Any recommendations or ones to stay away from ??

3. The dash is cracked and peeling. (see pics) Can these be re-covered or stripped, or just replace it with a generic black one ??

4. This is the "Levi's" edition. I am going to have to recover ALL three seats. Holy cr&p, are those Levi "buttons" really selling for $30.00 plus a pop on Ebay ???? While I would like to keep it original, that would pay for a LOT of misc parts.

Thanks in advance.....

dscf0078-800x597-.jpg

dscf0081-800x597-.jpg

dscf0086-800x597-.jpg

dscf0083-800x597-.jpg

dscf0089-800x597-.jpg

dscf0079-800x597-.jpg

1997 Harley FLSTC
2009 Harley Cross Bones
'74 Mercury Comet
OldGyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

I don't see any reason a longer fuel line should be a problem. The other two issues, I really can't help you. My '77 CJ5 is a Levi's Edition but the original seats are long gone. It also just has a steel dash.
Unread 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Yes they really do get that much for Levis buttons. That's your call, but be aware if you want some after yours are gone, I'm not aware of any knockoffs being made.

Yes the dash pad can be replaced, but many take them off because they trap water which causes the windshield frame to rust. They're available online.

And if you can't repair it, the opinion of most seems to be to find another factory windshield as the aftermarket is hit and miss.

And as long as you don't kink them, I can't think of a reason not to give yourself enough hose to drop the tank more easily next time.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Yes they really do get that much for Levis buttons. That's your call, but be aware if you want some after yours are gone, I'm not aware of any knockoffs being made.

Yes the dash pad can be replaced, but many take them off because they trap water which causes the windshield frame to rust. They're available online.

And if you can't repair it, the opinion of most seems to be to find another factory windshield as the aftermarket is hit and miss.
Thanks. So I take it that you think the windshield frame is fixable ? I may give it a shot over the winter, worst that could happen is that I have to order a new frame.

As for the buttons, I think I'll hang onto them for awhile, even if I don't use them on the seat recover project.
1997 Harley FLSTC
2009 Harley Cross Bones
'74 Mercury Comet
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I don't know if it's fixable or not. I couldn't do it and I'd almost bet most guys in a collision shop can't either. Perhaps someone in a restoration shop could, but I'd also almost bet it would be cheaper to replace it.

I've dealt with these guys in Antelope, CA (by Sacramento) and they don't sell junk. They have the advantage of the California climate for them. J&W Auto Wreckers: http://www.jwjeep.com/ . I'm sure there's others around. You'll undoubtedly pay a yard more than someone on Craigslist, but you might have a cleaner windshield in the end.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Thanks, I'll check them out. I think I'll clean the rust out and drive it for the small amount of time we have left before the snow flies. No top (for now).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.