Got my MC2150 dialed in... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got my MC2150 dialed in...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Got my MC2150 dialed in...

Title says it. Got the 2150 from the ebay guy, install was pretty straight forward, new DUI at the same time, but had a nagging bog, hesitation, stumble...something, when taking off, and when accelerating with slight pedal from cruising speed.

Checked timing many times, with light, and vacuum guage as well as mixture adjust, choke adjust. Just couldnt get rid of the stumble. Checked the power valve, and it held with a vacuum pulled on it. Played with accelerator pump linkage position and holes. Still no joy.

Decided to try using some of the PV and jetting combos that worked for others here, and went from the 8.5 PV and 49 jets, to a 6.5 PV and 47 jets. Now runs like a scalded dog, accelerates smoothly with none of the afore-mentioned issues, and pulls hard to 75mph with the new 4.56's, at which point I let off. Also noticed that the smelly rich fumes are significantly reduced...really, they are not noticeable anymore.

Just wanted to share the combo that worked for me at basically sea level in Florida.

capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the post, Ive been thinking of doing this myself. I have a pretty good stutter about halfway through the throttle and all of the ignition has just been upgraded/replaced. What is the guys name that sells them on ebay?

-Mason
RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Ebay sellars name is ehrmannmp
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

He's a good guy to deal with. Give him specifics (I live a 8,500 ft elevation for instance) and he will pre-tune the carb. Mine arrived and was plug & play and required very little adjustment.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
rainjeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
Title says it. Got the 2150 from the ebay guy, install was pretty straight forward, new DUI at the same time, but had a nagging bog, hesitation, stumble...something, when taking off, and when accelerating with slight pedal from cruising speed.

Checked timing many times, with light, and vacuum guage as well as mixture adjust, choke adjust. Just couldnt get rid of the stumble. Checked the power valve, and it held with a vacuum pulled on it. Played with accelerator pump linkage position and holes. Still no joy.

Decided to try using some of the PV and jetting combos that worked for others here, and went from the 8.5 PV and 49 jets, to a 6.5 PV and 47 jets. Now runs like a scalded dog, accelerates smoothly with none of the afore-mentioned issues, and pulls hard to 75mph with the new 4.56's, at which point I let off. Also noticed that the smelly rich fumes are significantly reduced...really, they are not noticeable anymore.

Just wanted to share the combo that worked for me at basically sea level in Florida.
I have the same problem (rich fumes gas smell) with my 2150 carburator on my 258 engine and bought it from the Ebay guy also. I have done pretty much everything you described: fuel air mixture settings, new vacum hoses, no gas leaks around the tank, reconect charcoal canister, choke adjustment etc.I don't even know what size jets i have now but I would like to try different ones, i've never worked on the internal parts of a carburator before. What is a 6.5 PV? Did you have to remove the whole carburator off the jeep to change te jets or can it be done on the jeep? where did you get all the parts needed? Do you have a write up for this? thanks for the help
rainjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Got the 6.5 power valve from NAPA, and the jets ordered on line.

You have to take the carb off to change the PV. Its on the bottom front, under the little cover held down by 4 screws. The jets are easy to change with the carb on or off, but you do have to take the top off the carb to change them. I suggest picking up a jet tool, as the slot can get boogered if you are not careful.
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
capt205
1983 CJ7 

As an update...

Getting GPS verified 15-18mpg depending on my right foot pressure application. This is figured over 4 visits to the gas station, topping off the tank, and calculating mileage.

I think the carb is doing good now.
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Did you let Mike know what you had to do? Did he cover the costs? There are others around the internet that have similar problems, perhaps he doesn't know about them and keeps making the same mistake?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
capt205
1983 CJ7 

That's a good idea...I'll send him an email with what I did.

Other than that, I'm pleased with the carb. I know I could have done some legwork myself and saved a few bucks, but this was about as simple as it gets...new carb, gaskets and adaptor with studs, 1 transaction, and pretty good install notes as well, if you need them.
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19in1979 View Post
He's a good guy to deal with. Give him specifics (I live a 8,500 ft elevation for instance) and he will pre-tune the carb. Mine arrived and was plug & play and required very little adjustment.
Hey Wayne,

Do you happen to know what jetting/air combo he put in yours?

We should start keeping a database of jetting combos that work with each carb at certain elevations. A few shops offer custom-jetting , but I don't sense any of them have it dialed in. Too many variable, perhaps.

National carbs in another excellent company to deal with. They custom jetted my carb for no extra charge. The primaries were perfect, but i did need to tweak the secondaries.

Op, congrats. I know how satisfied you must feel.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hey Wayne,

Do you happen to know what jetting/air combo he put in yours?

We should start keeping a database of jetting combos that work with each carb at certain elevations. A few shops offer custom-jetting , but I don't sense any of them have it dialed in. Too many variable, perhaps.

National carbs in another excellent company to deal with. They custom jetted my carb for no extra charge. The primaries were perfect, but i did need to tweak the secondaries.

Op, congrats. I know how satisfied you must feel.

Matt
Matt -

I can't tell you what he did specifically to mine as it got lost in the conversation. We chatted on the phone for a bit and since he's down in Colorado Springs we talked about me driving the CJ down there and he'd jnstall and tune it for the schitz & giggles of it.

I had to decline his kind offer since I didn't want to break down half way there if the carb that I was replacing found out that he wasn't coming home with me.

Actually, I had already pulled the old carb off or I would have taken him up on it.

I do like your idea of a data base though but it would have to be searchable. Is there a way that it could be done here on the forum? I fear if we do it as just a sticky with folks adding info as they get it, it would take a lot of reading just to find what's pertinent to you. Maybe ask up the food chain a bit?

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
Got the 6.5 power valve from NAPA, and the jets ordered on line.

You have to take the carb off to change the PV. Its on the bottom front, under the little cover held down by 4 screws. The jets are easy to change with the carb on or off, but you do have to take the top off the carb to change them. I suggest picking up a jet tool, as the slot can get boogered if you are not careful.
Got a part number?
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post

Got a part number?
I don't, but the counterman just opened the Holley book, picked out the one I was asking for, and they had it upstairs.

I'm working a double today and tomorrow, but I'll see if I still have the package with the pn on Friday when I get home...I have a long day in the garage then as I'm repairing the oil cooler and replacing the water pump and radiator on my 2003 F350 7.3 PSD.
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

A part number would be great a I tried to look it up online at NAPA's site but couldn't locate it. I wasn't looking for Holley though as I didn't know if they were the same as the motorcraft. Since I don't have the vac line going to the PV does that mean mine is a single stage?
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
wm69

If your power valve has a bowl on it it's likely a 2 stage. If it's flat it's a single stage.....

I have both types. Tagged for more info on best PV to use. Getting black smoke out of one carb when I mash it (46 jets, unknown PV) and the other one runs great (47 jets, unknown PV).

I've always just used the PV that came in the rebuild kits, but they never have any markings on them.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.