Got her running....now a few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got her running....now a few questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
jd21476
1983 CJ7 

Got her running....now a few questions

This is an '83 CJ7 with the 6cyl.

She hasn't run in 8 years but she started on the first crank. Then I took her around the block and here are my questions.

1. It has lockers on all 4 wheels. I had it in 2 high with the front wheels hubs on free and the back wheel hubs locked. She seemed to hop around corners similar to my '73 Chevy truck when it's in 4 wheel drive. Is this normal?

2. The clutch lets up very high. Is this adjustable?

3. Steering seems fine but is very sensitive. Is this normal and I just need to get used to it?

4. brakes are tough. It takes a lot of effort to push on the pedal. Did these have power brakes?

5. All electrical works except the dash lights and turn signals. Could this be a fuse and if so...where?

jd21476 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
jd21476
1983 CJ7 

Oh and looking for a place to buy a good inexpensive battery
Unread 07-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #3
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

If you want an inexpensive battery you will need to steal one. Other wise take the existing battery to Advance Auto. They offer different quality levels for most battery types and good warranty.
STJP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
burley
1976 CJ5 

My local pick and pull sells all batteries for $25. Many are less than a year old, and are Napa or other name brands. They've all been on a trickle and come with 30 day warranty. I just look for highest CCA that's a name I recognize. So far so good.
burley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd21476 View Post
1. It has lockers on all 4 wheels. I had it in 2 high with the front wheels hubs on free and the back wheel hubs locked. She seemed to hop around corners similar to my '73 Chevy truck when it's in 4 wheel drive. Is this normal?
If you're driving it on dry pavement in 4WD, you should expect it to bind as you are seeing. But it is typically not advised to drive in 4WD on dry pavement for this reason. If it's hopping around in 2WD then you may have some sort of locked differential back there.

Tthis is the 2nd thread I've seen in two days that references manual lockouts on the rear wheels. I've never heard of this before yesterday.

Quote:
4. brakes are tough. It takes a lot of effort to push on the pedal. Did these have power brakes?
Do you see a big silver/black/gold booster between the master cylinder & the firewall? An '83 certainly could have come with power brakes, I'm not sure if that was ever standard. If it sat for 8 years, I would start by flushing the fluid, bleed 'em, and follow the drum brake adjusting procedure. That should either solve the problem or show you that it's much worse.
hbar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
Do you see a big silver/black/gold booster between the master cylinder & the firewall? An '83 certainly could have come with power brakes, I'm not sure if that was ever standard. If it sat for 8 years, I would start by flushing the fluid, bleed 'em, and follow the drum brake adjusting procedure. That should either solve the problem or show you that it's much worse.
My 83' Laredo has power brakes and steering. You may need to rebuild your drum brakes also. They sell spring kits.

I'm sure it has a fair amount of rust built up in the drums too depending upon if it was exposed to a lot of moisture while sitting.

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
John N
1981 CJ8 

If it's power brakes and the booster has gone bad, which is quite possible after sitting so long, that would make it difficult to stop.

Also, if the rear is welded or with some types of lockers, the rear would hop as you describe. You'll have to pull the cover to really know.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
sangdigger

The steering on alot of CJ's are super sensitive and the clutch is adjustable down at the bell housing as for the brakes is it manual or does it have a booster if it does the booster may be bad
sangdigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
cardiffclimber
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar
This is the 2nd thread I've seen in two days that references manual lockouts on the rear wheels. I've never heard of this before yesterday.
I believe this is done so it can be flat towed.
"Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife."
cardiffclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
jd21476
1983 CJ7 

So if I want to drive it on the road and it has rear hub lockers, what do I do?
Unread 07-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
So if I want to drive it on the road and it has rear hub lockers, what do I do?
Normally your setup is seen on bush buggies and rock crawlers. Twin sticks and lockers front and rear. The rear hubs can be unlocked off road so you can do front wheel digs and pull you sideways on a tight corner to get through trees or rocks.
As you noted, with the rear hubs locked, it chirps and bucks on corners. Thst is because the outside wheel has to travel farther in the corner so it has to scuff the ground. This makes tight corners hard to do off road so one just unlocks the rears if needed and the twin sticks give you front wheel drive.
For street you just lock the rears and put up with the chirp in the corners.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
jd21476
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Normally your setup is seen on bush buggies and rock crawlers. Twin sticks and lockers front and rear. The rear hubs can be unlocked off road so you can do front wheel digs and pull you sideways on a tight corner to get through trees or rocks.
As you noted, with the rear hubs locked, it chirps and bucks on corners. Thst is because the outside wheel has to travel farther in the corner so it has to scuff the ground. This makes tight corners hard to do off road so one just unlocks the rears if needed and the twin sticks give you front wheel drive.
For street you just lock the rears and put up with the chirp in the corners.
I can live with the chirp but will it damage anything?
Unread 07-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Not right away but there is tremendous buildup torsion on all parts of the drive system.

I suppose if you make 5 right turns you better make 5 left turns.

If there truly is a spool in the rear, you can always leave on side open and one side locked.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

The chirping won't hurt anything. You have a spool or welded differential in the rear axle. CJ's are fairly light, the torsional energy is released every time it chirps. It just gets very annoying in parking lots. As already mentioned, the hubs on the rear are to allow you to flat tow without pulling the rear drive line.

Battery, I second the advice to get one at your local junkyard for 30 bucks. They usually warranty them for a month, so if it's no good keep exchanging it till you find a good one. Usually they work fine. It's what I do now and I've have great success with it.

Turn signals are part of the brake light circuit. Brake lights work? Do the turn signals come on steady when you try them, or not at all? If steady, then replace flasher on fuse panel. If not at all then investigate turn signal switch in column.

Steering is already quick on the CJ box, but it gets worse if the drag link isn't adjusted correctly to allow the pitman arm to be in it's neutral position. When the wheels are pointed straight ahead, the pitman arm should be in it's "dead spot". It's a very narrow range. It can be found by disco'ing the drag link from the pitman and turning the steering wheel back and forth. There will be a spot in the middle of that range that feels different. You want the pitman arm in the center of that spot with the wheels pointed straight ahead.

Clutch, if it has an inch or two of free play at the top of the peddle, then you are ok.

1978 CJ5 Wheeler
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 all stock daily driver
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #15
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
The chirping won't hurt anything. You have a spool or welded differential in the rear axle. CJ's are fairly light, the torsional energy is released every time it chirps. It just gets very annoying in parking lots. As already mentioned, the hubs on the rear are to allow you to flat tow without pulling the rear drive line.

Battery, I second the advice to get one at your local junkyard for 30 bucks. They usually warranty them for a month, so if it's no good keep exchanging it till you find a good one. Usually they work fine. It's what I do now and I've have great success with it.
I agree with the battery part I have bought 2 brand new ones and the first one went bad in 2 weeks I'm still waiting for this one now and the were 115 each
Newbjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.