Got her home last night! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got her home last night!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
danheit
1979 CJ7 

79 CJ7 Build: Got her home last night!

So far, I have found that I have:
258 built
t-176 Trans
D300 twin stick with tera low conversion 4:1
Currie 9" rear
D44 NT with wheel spacers up front
Frame is rust free
Body is about 99% rust free (found a few spots that were dented, filled with bondo and starting to rust where it wasn't done right)
Bestop seats and doors (soft top is pretty well done)
Tuffy console
Lots of wiring that doesn't belong there, or in a vehicle much less

Power steering pump is shot
No coolant in the radiator, and none in the oil, so I am gonna go with a hole in the rad.
New extended brake lines---not hooked up, so no brakes
what appears to be a 6" trailmaster lift (if they make one) Def bigger than 4".
Was a top notch Jeep at one time with a lot of money, bloot sweat and tears put into it. Then the PO got a hold of it.....
Now I have it and will make it all better

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep

Last edited by danheit; 08-01-2010 at 08:08 PM..
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Great find! Looks great.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Sweet! Good Luck with her.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Here's what I am seeing so far:
I would like to make this a nice, somewhat closer to DD duty stocker than it currently is.
I am thinking a nice candy burgandy/red wine paint
Chrome front grill cover
New set of tires (currently I have 35's, but have a spare set of 33's. I just fear they will be too small with the lift that is on it now)
Put the tube bumper that I have from my other CJ on the front of this one. The one that is currently there is shot.
Clean clean and clean some more
Herc the interior and get up all of that POR15 crap that is poorly applied.
Set of tube steps or rockers with steps
Throw the cargo rack back on the top, add a few lights and enjoy. Whatcha think?

Unread 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I think I want to know the rest of the story...where'd you find it, how much, where'd the rest of the tires go- etc!

EDIT: nevermind- just found your other thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/go...03/index3.html

(and the answer is; yes, it is.)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...

Last edited by JoonHoss; 01-12-2010 at 12:39 PM..
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
... where'd the rest of the tires go- etc!
I don't think I've ever seen a slick/mud tire hybrid before!
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
danheit
1979 CJ7 

That's just how I roll. I come up with new ideas every day. This tire instead of being street/strip, it is woods/strip. Think there will be a big market for them? I currently have 2 sets, and I am working on a 3rd.

Unread 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
That's just how I roll... This tire instead of being street/strip, it is woods/strip. Think there will be a big market for them?...
makes sense to me! they have tread on the sides, which is where you'll need it once you flip (or flop, depending on your situation)

Hoss

Unread 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
CSP

From what little I can see of the lockout and diff cover that front axle looks like a Dana 30 to me. The tires certainly don't stick out like I would expect from a NT FSJ D44 with spacers.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
danheit
1979 CJ7 

My good man, I believe you are correct! I never even looked twice after I saw the rear end, and just took the kids word for it! That kinda stinks. Ah well, it could be worse, it could be a 20 rear end! I appreciate the heads up though. Unfortunately, the front axle is the least of my worries at the moment. It looks like I have just a tad bit more wiring to clean up after today. Here's what I have done so far:

This is what came out from behind the dash after about 5 minutes

And the piece de resistance, the ignition wiring:

Yes folks, that would be 2 orange extension cords.

I also found 3 toggle switches to run the headlights, wipers, and hi beams. The factory headlight switch melted.

Lots of extra wiring sitting in there, ready to be taken out. I am gonna remove the tranny kickdown, so if anyone needs one, and the associated wiring, let me know.

Unread 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

kind of gives new meaning to the term 'plug-n-play' doesn't it?

Hoss

Unread 01-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
danheit
1979 CJ7 

At least he was kind enough to twist them together to make them look pretty. I had already removed most of the duct tape by this time.....

Unread 01-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
danheit
1979 CJ7 

So, more wiring was removed from the Jeep today, and she now starts with a key!!! Come to find out, and this is solely my opinion, but here's what had happened to my Jeep with the PO.

The key was lost for the ignition. No big deal. The PO removed the steering wheel, removed 2 of the 3 screws from the turn signal cam, but the last one wouldn't budge. The turn signal lever was "removed" by accidental force, and everything was put back together with the plans to bypass the ignition lock switch.
Phase two, the PO digs through the wiring on the steering column, finds the power interrupt switch, and searches around to find which wires make the Jeep go vroom. PO goes to put the switch back on, puts the white plug (which controls the starter solenoid) on upside down, putting the wires in the wrong spot, and accidentally rips two wires out, causing him to have to put spade terminals on the ends and stick them where he thought they went. Jeep won't start without keeping the starter motor spinning. Somehow the starter is now getting constant power. Imagine that. Well, the smartest thing to do here is go get an old extension cord and a doorbell switch and some solder...wait, we can just twist the bare wires together and push them up against the steel dash, we don't need no stinking solder! Fast forward to 6 beers later and we not have a Jeep that can evidentally be started with the push of a doorbell, possibly a garage door opener, or just plugging it in to the wall! Now, what we need to be sure not to do is to tell the new owner any of this stuff so he can find out all on his own.

I go out to rip out the extension cords, and spend the better part of 3 hours trying to track down why there is constant power going to the starter, searching every inch of wiring for two that may have melted and stuck together, or possibly just twisted together to the wrong spot, only to start scavenging parts from my other CJ that I know are good, such as the power interrupt switch which requires the unbolting of both steering columns and dashes, starter solenoids, etc. I finally go back and look at where the wires are on the good CJ vs. the new one and find that the PO put the wires on the power interrupt switch upside down, causing constant power to the 'S' side of the starter solenoid. Insert bad words here. 5 minutes later, and we had the wiring straight. Time to pull the steering wheel to get the lock cylinder out. yeah....not as easy as it sounds. Evidently, that 3rd screw that wouldn't come out was made of hardened titanium from a space shuttle as it ate 5 drill bits before I could just drill through the head enough to break it off and get the rest of it with a pair of vice grips. Soon, I will have a nice working Jeep. Soon. I am off to advance auto to get a new lock cylinder right now. I couldn't bare to take it from the other jeep. I have already robbed it of it's wiper switch and headlight switch. I am a horrible horrible person! At least I have 2 Jeeps though!

Unread 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
danheit
1979 CJ7 

So today served as a beautiful Jeep day. I got some great work done on the Jeep, and sadly, committed a terrible sin against my other Jeep. I have begun the process of selling some of the major components off of my CJ project that I have been building over the last 2 years, to "replinish" the cash I spent on my new acquisition of this Jeep. So, I sold the axles right out from underneath of my black CJ. I feel absolutely awful, but it will be worth it in the end, as I have a set of full width axles for her just waiting.
Today, I also received my wonderful shipment of toys from 4wd Hardware, to include my new ignition switch YEAH!!! I can actually start my Jeep!!!!, a new turn signal lever, so my blinkers will work, all new heater cables so that my dash won't look all ghetto with the broken cables sticking out, and a nice pretty stainless dash overlay without the radio cutout. My radio will be going in the tuffy. I also spent today and a good bit of yesterday cleaning up the soft top that the PO said was unusable. The top is by no means in great shape, but it will certainly hold up for another year or so. The windows are a different story.
After stripping my old CJ of the axles, I decided to swap the 39's onto the new one for something that would fill up the wheelwells a little better. Put on a new front bumper, and here she is!

Sorry for the poor lighting, but it took me the majority of the day to get everything done, and I never even thought about stopping to eat, let alone take pictures. I also didn't have my digital camera, hence the crappy cell phone pics, but you get the idea. Here sits my other CJ sans front axle. The rear is still in there at the time of the pictures, but sadly, it left soon thereafter.

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
sbc61
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a great project. Keep those pics coming.

Are you going to paint it? If so, what color?

What kind of shape is the floor in?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.