Got the CJ started but can't shut it off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got the CJ started but can't shut it off!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
bigdee2

Got the CJ started but can't shut it off!

It's been a ten month project, so wires have gotten crossed and I've forgotten where some thin go go surely.

I did a few upgrades:

1. Removed the old ignition system, dizzy and coil - went with a HEI for the AMC - the only connection required was a 12 volt on/off with the key/ignition.

2. Changed on the silenoid - probably my issue.

Right now, the wire to the starter is on one side (larger terminal) with the small blue wire on the smaller terminal. The battery cable + is on the other large terminal along with the wire to the alternator and the fuseable link to power the fuse box under the dash. The small red wire is on the smaller terminal next to it. With this set-up, it will power up the ignition and crank, but the engine will not turn off!!

If I swith the larger wires around to the opposite sides of the larger terminals on the silenoid, the starter continously engages.

Then the small purple wire is going to the oil sending unit and the lower passenger side of the block and a small purple wire with a stripe is going to the temperature unit mounted on the intake.

Any thoughts?

bigdee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Your sense wire on the alternator is not hooked up properly. This is what tells the alternator to shut off when you turn the key off. Search for threads on here they are plentiful
cjjon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Look at your starter solenoid. The small posts are labeled I (ignition) and S (start). The small red wire goes to the I post and the blue wire to the S post.

Tags
wiring , wiring diagram

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.