Got the black OOZ comin outta my ignition module! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Got the black OOZ comin outta my ignition module!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Got the black OOZ comin outta my ignition module!

I just bought my '79 CJ5. 258cid, AMC20 in the rear, D30 up front, 31x10.5x15 BF AT's, Rancho 4" spring lift, drop pitman, axles shimmed and t- case shimmed, new CV high angle shaft in rear, Full 6 point cage, RJS 2" harness, White and Plum Crazy color.

My steering shaft is loose at the lower joint. I can get a kit through 4WD Hardware for $36.75. Anyone recommend doin this or should I bight the bullet and get the Borgeson shaft for $230 ouch.

My front drive shaft slip joint is shot. Any replacement suggestions?

The 20 out back has had the axles replaced once. I am strongly contemplating Moser 1 piece kit through 4WD Hardware for $310.00. Any suggestions?

My ignition module is also cooking. I got the innerds oozing out on to my inner fender and onto the ground. I hear the Jacobs system isn't worth the $. 4WD Hardware has HEI units for $360. That's a little more than I wanna spend. Any suggestions?

My carb is also leaking by the butterfly shaft bushings. Would I be better off replacing my carb or tryin to rebush it?

You guys have a great forum here and I hope you can help me out Thanks every one.

BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2002, 09:18 PM   #2
NC74CJ

If it was me I would try to fix my steering shaft for cheap before I replaced it. Same goes for the carb, distributor, and definately the driveshaft. Just grab a rebuilt kit for the carb, rebuilding them is alot easier than most people would think. Im not a big fan of HEI, I have it on a truck and it works fine, but nothing tops MSD ignitions. If you are looking to keep your jeep pretty much stock and wont run high rpm's then just get another coil/rebuild your old distributor. A good driveshaft shop will fix your driveshaft no problem.

I have no idea about the strength of AMC 20 rearends so maybe someone else will help you out there. Good luck

Bill
Unread 09-11-2002, 12:01 AM   #3
JeepinCj7

Re: Got the black OOZ comin outta my ignition module!

Quote:
Originally posted by BART CJ5

The 20 out back has had the axles replaced once. I am strongly contemplating Moser 1 piece kit through 4WD Hardware for $310.00. Any suggestions?
Most definitly do it unless you are going to swap out axles,but the 20 w/ 1 piece axle is just as strong as a 44 if not stronger

Quote:
[i]My ignition module is also cooking. I got the innerds oozing out on to my inner fender and onto the ground. I hear the Jacobs system isn't worth the $. 4WD Hardware has HEI units for $360. That's a little more than I wanna spend. Any suggestions?[/B]
Go MSD 6A or 6AL and never look back
Unread 09-11-2002, 12:25 AM   #4
CSP

Forget the hyped up ignition modules if you're just interested in a dependable ignition. Consider that this is a 23 year old Jeep and it's very probable that is the original ignition module. Given the age and the other problems this Jeep has a high dollar ignition system should only be considered after some other things are corrected. With worn out butterflies on the carb it's probably safe to say that the internals of the engine have seen some of their better days. The bang for the buck on an engine in vintage condition would never be realized with the MSD or Jacobs (junk) ignition systems. BTW, I love MSD and have them in both of my Camaros and two Jeeps. In this case it's a waste like trying to polish a turd.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
BART CJ5
1979 CJ5 

CSP,
that is just what I was thinkin. This engine is tip top though for it's age. The carb rebuild kits dose not include bushings.

The ignition module that mounts to the lower front left inner fender well is cooking. Should I replace it with stock or aftermarket? I'll make it a little clearer, sorry. Where should I purchase this unit?

My local machine shop can rebuild my drive shaft.

Has anyone rebuilt there steering shaft with this kit through 4WD Hardware?
BART CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #6
CSP

Stick with stock on the ignition module. If you want more oomph from your ignition do a TFI upgrade. Go to www.trailhed.com and then to the projects page. You'll find a link there with all of the info. It's basically a tune up with a hot coil and a larger cap and rotor to prevent crossfiring. Any auto parts store will have the correct ignition module for you.

If you're sure that the lower coupler (bell coupler) is the loose spot in your steering column the kit from 4WD Hardware should fix it for you. It contains all of the pieces that see wear. The square pieces inside there tend to wear down the cross pin that they ride on. It's a common spot for a loose column.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:03 PM   #7
hollywood

A GM HEI from a 77 - 82 250 straight six is a direct bolt in using the drive gear from an 82 or newer AMC V-8. (well I guess its not a "direct" bolt in, but you get the idea )
- Just another option
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.