Goofy gas gage - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Sidney1921
1983 CJ7 

Goofy gas gage

When I bought my 83' CJ7 the fuel gage and sender were not wired. I received some excellent help from forum members on how to do the wiring. Now that I have everything wired according to their directions, the fuel gage reads 1/2 with the float in the empty position and the needle passes full as I move the float upwards. I'm sure this is a common problem with goofy Jeep gages. I'm new to the business. I would appreciate recommendations for calibrating my gage and sender. Thanks folks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

This sounds like a ground problem. Double check the ground connection before proceeding any further.

Then check the resistance from the sending unit when the tank is empty.

Then fill it and check the resistance again.

If the resistance is OK. Then you can proceed to calibrate the gauge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Sidney1921
1983 CJ7 

Goofy gage

When you say double check the ground are you referring to the gage itself or the sender? Would calibrating the sender mean adjusting the float rod or making some form of electrical intervention? I apologize for my inexperience. Thanks again.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 04:46 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

How are you determining the empty float position? The most acurate way is to put it in the empty tank.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Beg, borrow or buy and Ohm meter to determine the setting of the Sending Unit but checking the ground connection should be your first step as mentioned.

The resistance for the fuel gauge sending unit, in Ohms, should be the following:
Empty = 73 Ohms
1/2 = 23 Ohms
Full = 10 Ohms

There are tangs on the sending unit to make adjustments to get it in range.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney1921 View Post
When you say double check the ground are you referring to the gage itself or the sender? Would calibrating the sender mean adjusting the float rod or making some form of electrical intervention? I apologize for my inexperience. Thanks again.
From your description I would check the ground on the gauge/ speedometer first. If the tank ground was missing you 'should' not get any movement on the gauge.

Simple check, Put a test light on the "A" terminal (Center terminal). If it's flashing your ground is good. If it's steady, your ground is probably bad. It could be inside the speedometer also. You would need an ohm meter to be sure.

Calibrating the sender is usually just adjusting the stops and bending the float arm as needed to put your resistance in the right range.

Calibrating the gauge means performing an electrical adjustment on the gauge.

See my signature for details.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

It is always the ground!

If you run a dedicated ground to to all your gauges you'll be surprised with how much better they work and how much brighter your dash lights are.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.