Is good stearing possible??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is good stearing possible???

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #16
kurdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireplug
Thanks for the imput. I really dont mind paying for it to drive right. Whats the best source of suspension components? Any brand get recomendations? O, and slap the **** out of your neighbor for me.

hey, a couple of things... have you checked the steering box mount itself? the cjs use a cheap two piece stamped steel mount and the bolts work loose all the time if you use it offroad. a steering box brace and a new steering box mount from M.O.R.E or poison spyder would help that... they make the mounts out of 1/2 inch thick steel and it's one piece. another thing, the steering shaft in cjs can lead to a huge amount of slop/play in the steering. flaming river and borgeson make a beefy replacement steering shaft. might wanna throw some new tierods on or just upgrade while you're at it.
http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html has either heim or tierod end replacement draglink and tierod kits for CJs that are way beefier than your stock little steering system. other than the steering box mount, a brace, a steering shaft or the tierods... i can't really think of much else someone hasn't mentioned that would cause what you're talking about... usually if it's sloppy, it's just plain sloppy.

oh, and as far as a shackle reversal... i think it does make for a smoother ride and it allows you to run a slightly longer shackle for a bit better flex, or even a buggy spring... i installed one on my CJ before i went coilover... however, i really didn't notice a huge improvement in steering. a shackle reversal allows the shock of an impact (bump, whatever) to travel backwards in the direction it's already traveling as the spring compresses, thereby giving a smoother ride... however depending on how arched your springs are, a shackle reversal can be advantageous or not worth your effort. the flatter your springs are the less a shackle reversal will help. here is a good article on shackle reversals that explains it more in depth.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/
note: the server side has some retrival errors... you may need to try the link a few times, i assure you the page is there as of this writing

-kurdt

81 CJ-7 rock buggy, injected 350, built th350, 3.8 atlas II w/ ebrake, d60 front 1.5 stubs w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, d70 rear w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, 37" krawlers, 17" trailready beadlocks, 16" king coilovers, 4 link f/r, 12+ point cage, howe full hydraulic steering, fabbed by owner :D
kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.