Is good stearing possible??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is good stearing possible???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #16
kurdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfireplug
Thanks for the imput. I really dont mind paying for it to drive right. Whats the best source of suspension components? Any brand get recomendations? O, and slap the **** out of your neighbor for me.

hey, a couple of things... have you checked the steering box mount itself? the cjs use a cheap two piece stamped steel mount and the bolts work loose all the time if you use it offroad. a steering box brace and a new steering box mount from M.O.R.E or poison spyder would help that... they make the mounts out of 1/2 inch thick steel and it's one piece. another thing, the steering shaft in cjs can lead to a huge amount of slop/play in the steering. flaming river and borgeson make a beefy replacement steering shaft. might wanna throw some new tierods on or just upgrade while you're at it.
http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html has either heim or tierod end replacement draglink and tierod kits for CJs that are way beefier than your stock little steering system. other than the steering box mount, a brace, a steering shaft or the tierods... i can't really think of much else someone hasn't mentioned that would cause what you're talking about... usually if it's sloppy, it's just plain sloppy.

oh, and as far as a shackle reversal... i think it does make for a smoother ride and it allows you to run a slightly longer shackle for a bit better flex, or even a buggy spring... i installed one on my CJ before i went coilover... however, i really didn't notice a huge improvement in steering. a shackle reversal allows the shock of an impact (bump, whatever) to travel backwards in the direction it's already traveling as the spring compresses, thereby giving a smoother ride... however depending on how arched your springs are, a shackle reversal can be advantageous or not worth your effort. the flatter your springs are the less a shackle reversal will help. here is a good article on shackle reversals that explains it more in depth.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/
note: the server side has some retrival errors... you may need to try the link a few times, i assure you the page is there as of this writing

-kurdt

81 CJ-7 rock buggy, injected 350, built th350, 3.8 atlas II w/ ebrake, d60 front 1.5 stubs w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, d70 rear w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, 37" krawlers, 17" trailready beadlocks, 16" king coilovers, 4 link f/r, 12+ point cage, howe full hydraulic steering, fabbed by owner :D
kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.