Is good stearing possible??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is good stearing possible???

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
txfireplug

Is good stearing possible???

OK, so I know that CJ's stearing sucks. Is there anyway to make it so that the jeep feels good while driving over 55 MPH? Any aftermarket parts to do this? There isn't alot of slack in the stearing the jeep just has a mind of it's own once it hits the highway. Any suggestions are welcome.

txfireplug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
Dtray332

Well, before I can start to make any suggestions. Have you done anything to your jeep, like lift shackles or a lift kit? Has your steering always been like that or did it just start?
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
eight

Are you useing lift shackles? Those make the jeep drive bad because they mess up the caster. Other than that, installing a track bar will help.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #4
txfireplug

Thanks DTRAY,

No It's pretty much sucked since I bought it. Its an 86 CJ, with 33's. The damn thing is horrible on the highway. Id really like it to run good on the highway so I don't have to tow it to the deer lease everytime I go. I know the short wheel base isn't the most condusive to high-speed handling but it realy sux. Any input would be great.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
txfireplug

Hey 8,
No no shackles, btw HOWDY. Your in my neighborhood.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Dtray332

What eight said is right, if you have lift shackles, it will mess up your camber. You have 2 options then, either grind off your spring perches and rotate your axle back and reweld them in place. You can also put shims between the spring and the perch. If you are going to do any serious off roading, I would go ahead and reweld the perches. The say that the cast shims can break and come out. I have never actually seen it happen, but it is possible.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
txfireplug

Thanks,

Anyother suggestions? I will do whatever it takes to make this damn thing stable.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:47 PM   #8
Dtray332

One other, check the U bolts. It is possible that they are lose or came lose at one time and the guide pins on the spring perches came out of the holes in the springs and let the axle rotate forward.
Unread 10-14-2003, 08:56 PM   #9
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

This may sound crazy, but what pressure are you running in the 33's? If your contact patch is too small, the jeep reacts more to the heavier rotating mass of tires and tends to bounce off the small bumps in the road. This was the problem in my buddies CJ with 33s. He lowered the pressure (from 35 to 23 or so) and said it was a world of difference. Also check the wear in the box, tie rods and front bearings as these Jeeps aren't getting younger and have both milage and age against them. I'm running pretty much all stock and it tracks better with speed. Yes, I can take my hands off the wheel (even at higher speeds) and it tracks great. I'm stable up to 90mph or so.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #10
rustyCJ

"steering"

you're running 33s? you have a lift? what kind of angle is the draglink compared to the tie rod? why is it only bothering you over 55? have you checked all your rod ends, ball joints, steering box, steering shaft, and steering column for any kind of play?
Unread 10-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #11
Lightningdon

" I'm stable up to 90mph or so." If my CJ is doing 90mph, it's because I just drove over a cliff! Call 911!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2003, 09:28 PM   #12
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningdon
" I'm stable up to 90mph or so
I know, it sounds strange, but I run 75 to 80mph all the time and it does it just fine. Running 265/70/R15 dunlop rover AT's at 25 psi in the front and 23 psi rear, with 3.31s , 5th gear and 258 engine (165 thousand miles).....I credit the tires matching the power band of the engine (I believe it's 2500rpm at 75mph). Hard top must be on as due to a low pressure drag, I can only do 70 (= OR -) with the top off.
Now I have a CJ-6 that you couldn't pay me to drive over 50mph in it! and its a longer wheelbase (104) It's just a whole different feeling creature. Not all CJ's are the same. Each one I drive has it's own "feel" .....some I trust, others I don't.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #13
txfireplug

Thanks for the imput guys. I guess I will try changing the tire pressure. I believe that the tie rods are fine and everything else seems to be ok. I will check everything over again tomorrow.
Unread 10-15-2003, 06:47 AM   #14
wm69

Have you thought about a shackle reverse? This is something I've thrown around, but I don't do highway much in my jeep anymore. I worked with a guy who had a shackle reverse and he said it was night and day in the way his jeep drove. Also, I thought my steering box was in good shape, but replaced it with an AGR superbox 2 when I got the engine built. It drives a whole lot better now (course for what the agr box/pump costs it ought to!) Just a couple of thoughts. I also have heard that your front u joints (in the axles, not on the driveshafts) will wear and cause sloppy steering. Another thing to look at. This is a problem common to a 20 year old jeep. If you want good steering you can replace u joints, ball joints, steering box, and tie rod ends, and it should drive great (at a pretty hefty price). It is possible for a jeep to drive well on the highway. The guy down the street had an 86 with 19K miles on it and it drove like a caddy (and he sold it for 5500 with HT/ doors and a warn 8274 on the front, no rust, paint like new, renegade package, don't get me started on missing that one). I personally would look at the shackle reverse first, they're about $200 (or you could try to make it yourself).

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2003, 07:55 AM   #15
txfireplug

Thanks for the imput. I really dont mind paying for it to drive right. Whats the best source of suspension components? Any brand get recomendations? O, and slap the **** out of your neighbor for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.