Good Jeep Mechanic IN/NEAR Los Angeles, CA. ??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj Good Jeep Mechanic IN/NEAR Los Angeles, CA. ???

Folks, I need a GOOD Jeep mechanic for some needed repairs. Even if another member is willing to make some extra $$$ who lives nearby, I am cool with that. I need some minor engine work done and I don't have all the tools and just had surgery. I don't think I am ready to do the work so I need to find someone I can trust who knows these vehicles and appreciates them. lol

It will simply make me more comfortable knowing someone is fully familiar with the characteristics of the inline six engines. I am trying to save on going to a TOP DOLLAR shop; they are ridiculously expensive. I guess when we know how to do something BUT can't for whatever reasons, it's tough to accept someone else doing the repairs. I get it but it's Frustrating! Any ideas?

You know the deal; "When it rains, it pours". Little repairs are adding up and I am in too much pain lately to take them on. Kind of CrAzY actually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 11:50 AM
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

Might help if you could say what work needs to be done.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
Might help if you could say what work needs to be done.
Timing chain (most important). I can do a lot of the work but had surgery and not feeling too confident since its a daily driver. I am afraid I may overlook a crucial detail. A knowledgable helping-hand would help. And yes, I would pay for someones time. I am currently gathering a small list of all needed parts so I am ready to just tackle this somehow. A neighbor looked at it this morning and told me I can drive it but I worry I may make it worse. I normally like to be on top of all mechanics on this ride. So, currently researching the heck out of this project. Regards
post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 02:25 PM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

do you have a FSM?? If not, there's been a recent post with a link to one.

Doing the timing set isn't difficult, just a pain. Autozone loans a puller and installer for the harmonic balancer.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoow View Post
do you have a FSM?? If not, there's been a recent post with a link to one.

Doing the timing set isn't difficult, just a pain. Autozone loans a puller and installer for the harmonic balancer.
Yes, I got the FSM off of here form CSP. Pretty informative book.

I am gathering my list but I am not an engine guy and just worried I will NOT recognize other possible issues I should address while its being done. I know this is over thinking but I don't want to have to tear this open again, lol. I'm not sure what to look for if there was other issues but I am reading up. Thanks

BTW . . . what's a really good BRAND to buy? Is DYNAGEAR a good brand? Can I go with a double roller style?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 04:53 PM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post

Yes, I got the FSM off of here form CSP. Pretty informative book.

I am gathering my list but I am not an engine guy and just worried I will NOT recognize other possible issues I should address while its being done. I know this is over thinking but I don't want to have to tear this open again, lol. I'm not sure what to look for if there was other issues but I am reading up. Thanks

BTW . . . what's a really good BRAND to buy? Is DYNAGEAR a good brand? Can I go with a double roller style?
I dont see any need for a double roller. Unless you have a hopped up high rpm engine.

Wish i was closer to give you a hand.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

i replaced my timing set (= 2 gears + chain) last year with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cloyes-C3053-3...yes+timing+set

I just found this from a quick search so if you're interested in this brand check to make sure what you get will fit your yr. and type of engine.

Another thing to consider is what type of gasket is on the oil pan. The stock setup used cork on the sides & a rubber piece on the front that mates with the timing cover. With this setup it's relatively easy to remove/replace the timing cover without having to disturb the oil pan. If the pan gasket is a 1-piece type that is now out there you'll probably have to remove the oil pan in order to reinstall the timing cover; at least i had to because i couldn't get the timing cover seated on the oil pan without disturbing the timing cover gasket. Someone else with more experience can probably guide you better on this consideration.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoow View Post
i replaced my timing set (= 2 gears + chain) last year with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cloyes-C3053-3...yes+timing+set

I just found this from a quick search so if you're interested in this brand check to make sure what you get will fit your yr. and type of engine.

Another thing to consider is what type of gasket is on the oil pan. The stock setup used cork on the sides & a rubber piece on the front that mates with the timing cover. With this setup it's relatively easy to remove/replace the timing cover without having to disturb the oil pan. If the pan gasket is a 1-piece type that is now out there you'll probably have to remove the oil pan in order to reinstall the timing cover; at least i had to because i couldn't get the timing cover seated on the oil pan without disturbing the timing cover gasket. Someone else with more experience can probably guide you better on this consideration.
Okay, thanks!

I will probably remove the oil pan because I have a Brand New HD oil pump and new screen that I have been wanting to install. My oil pressure has dropped and I am thinking it's because I recently did a MMO flush, ran Rotella 10/40 for three months, drained it and put in 20/50 with a higher grade oil filter. I always ran 20/50 with zero issues however, I really think a lot of the slug ended up at the bottom of that oil pan so I want to have a look inside there. It just seems plugged; as in not getting a good oil distribution flow.

So, I will most likely remove the oil pan and put the HD oil pump in since the gasket will be involved. Makes sense anyway.

Which is preferred, the 4 piece gasket or the newer ONE piece? I am probably going to need a water pump gasket too and a new thermostat while I'm there.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 PM
CrashOdle
1981 CJ7 

When my son and I did our build we replaced the RMS, timing cover and valve cover. Used a Felpro gasket kit and The Right Stuff on the valve cover and oil pan, and after some pretty good abuse, no leaks. I've had some valve cover bolts loosen up, which I've gently reset with blue lock tight. So far so good.

81 CJ7 258 Howell TBI, Rushed & Nuttered/T19/Scout Dana 300, Dana 44/Dana 30 WT, rolling 33" KM2's
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashOdle View Post
When my son and I did our build we replaced the RMS, timing cover and valve cover. Used a Felpro gasket kit and The Right Stuff on the valve cover and oil pan, and after some pretty good abuse, no leaks. I've had some valve cover bolts loosen up, which I've gently reset with blue lock tight. So far so good.
What is RMS, if you don't mind me asking? It's probably something obvious, lol.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 PM
CrashOdle
1981 CJ7 

Rear main seal.

Granted, it was all done on an engine stand.

81 CJ7 258 Howell TBI, Rushed & Nuttered/T19/Scout Dana 300, Dana 44/Dana 30 WT, rolling 33" KM2's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.