Good Idea? Bad Idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Good Idea? Bad Idea?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-22-2002, 06:27 AM   #1
SaharaMan
1999 WJ 

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Hey guys,
I'm seriously thinking about buying a 1980's CJ for under $1000 or under $500. Then, I would like to restore the jeep and convert it to a reliable, every-day driving jeep. Then I would like to sell it and make a couple grand, if possible. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Is it worth it? How much $$ do you think I have to put in to this project to make it nice, and how much could I sell it for?

SaharaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 06:49 AM   #2
JeeperTim

Re: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Quote:
Originally posted by SaharaMan
Hey guys,
I'm seriously thinking about buying a 1980's CJ for under $1000 or under $500. Then, I would like to restore the jeep and convert it to a reliable, every-day driving jeep. Then I would like to sell it and make a couple grand, if possible. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Is it worth it? How much $$ do you think I have to put in to this project to make it nice, and how much could I sell it for?
Any CJ that you can buy for under $1000 is going to need *a lot* of work and money. Unless you are a business and get the customary 20-30% off on parts and supplies, it will be difficult (nearly impossible) for you to make any money on it at resale.

In my experience, a complete CJ restoration will cost anywhere between $8-$15K depending on the parts you use and the original condition of the Jeep (body tub and parts, frame, etc).

Although restored CJs are still rising in market value, they still fall into the "labor of love" category meaning you will most likely spend more than you can sell it for.

I would say "go for it" though. Enjoy the work and who knows... Maybe you will make a buck or two upon resale.
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 08:02 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

After a 2 year buildup on my '71 I can second Tim's response. It would be pretty hard to pick up a Jeep in the $1000 price range and completely restore it trying to make a few bucks. Not that it can't be done. I would say to do a buildup for the sake of doing a buildup and if you get a chance to sell it some day for a small profit, then just consider that the icing on the cake. Be careful though... Jeep building is highly addictive with no known cure!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 04:58 PM   #4
Scorpion

Currently I've just started my second jeep rebuild with my first one not yet completed.

I bought the latest one for $200. It's a 1979 CJ7 that was 90% burned and then left in a field for 5 or so years. My plan is to build a dream CJ7 for $2500 - $3000 including the purchase price and it will have GM 350, Turbo 350, D20, 9"/Dana 44 hybrid front, 9"/Corp 14 hybrid rear, Shackle reversal, SOA, Highsteer, full cage, custom bumpers, 35 mt's, and so on...

But here's the big catch. Over the years I have spent more money in fabrication equipment than most people put into two separate 4x4 projects. I can build a shaved 9"/Dana 44 hybrid for less than $400. I have been collecting parts that myself or my friends were going to throw away and storing them for this occation alone.

Sooner or later you pay for a buildup. In my case I paid long before I ever bought the jeep. You have to be connected and plan on looking high and low for parts handouts and cheap used items. Without all of them you'll spend more than if you bought someone's that is already finished.
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.