Is this as good as a deal as I am thinking?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this as good as a deal as I am thinking?!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Have you picked it up YET????
Sadly, he is working today, and doesn't get off till 5, and I am working tonight, gotta go in at 1730. I think when I get off tomorrow morning, I will go ahead and drive to him. He is supposed to shoot me some pictures around 3pm today.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Just made plans to go pick up my Jeep tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Congrats
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

That is a heck of a deal man. Makes me envious even though I basically stole my CJ7. Totally worth that cost in my mind.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
danheit
1979 CJ7 

So quick update, I talked to the kid just now, asking about some other things, and he told me that the tires are slick from him doing burnouts on the pavement in 4wd. He says all 4 are bald, which at least means front and rear lockers, but now I wonder what kind of condition they are in. Also said that the front bumper was torn off playing in the front yard and had to be welded back on. Asked him why it has to be welded, and he told me that where it mounts to is actually ripped, so I am wondering what the front frame horns look like too. This should all be some good bargaining chips, but he stated several times that he is very firm on his price without me even asking. Mainly because of the currie rear end and t-case. This should be interesting. Oh, and all of the factory wiring has been bypassed. It now has a pushbutton start in the dash, no gauges are connected, etc. etc. etc. No sensors are hooked up either, so the motor will be a little questionable without doing a VERY thorough once over. Only problem is that I am very limited on time tomorrow. Get off work at 6am, drive 2 hours to him, look the jeep over, and drive 2+ hours home (gotta flat tow it cause my trailer is on loan right now)

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
So quick update, I talked to the kid just now, asking about some other things, and he told me that the tires are slick from him doing burnouts on the pavement in 4wd. He says all 4 are bald, which at least means front and rear lockers, but now I wonder what kind of condition they are in. Also said that the front bumper was torn off playing in the front yard and had to be welded back on. Asked him why it has to be welded, and he told me that where it mounts to is actually ripped, so I am wondering what the front frame horns look like too. This should all be some good bargaining chips, but he stated several times that he is very firm on his price without me even asking. Mainly because of the currie rear end and t-case. This should be interesting. Oh, and all of the factory wiring has been bypassed. It now has a pushbutton start in the dash, no gauges are connected, etc. etc. etc. No sensors are hooked up either, so the motor will be a little questionable without doing a VERY thorough once over. Only problem is that I am very limited on time tomorrow. Get off work at 6am, drive 2 hours to him, look the jeep over, and drive 2+ hours home (gotta flat tow it cause my trailer is on loan right now)
He needs to send you some very good pics first or I wouldnt drive
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #22
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
Anybody want a good deal on a BMW 740iL?! I will make you a deal you can't refuse!
IL's are sweet rides. The ultimate cruising machine IMO. They run $60-70k+ new but usually sell for less than $10k.

I want one, but I have to wait for my settlement check and don't know how much longer that is going to be.

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
jeepcj258
1980 CJ5 

regardless of what is wrong with it, it still seems there is enough there to justify $1500. As long as you are willing to deal with some of the head ache.
jeepcj258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Well, I am certainly willing to deal with the headache, but the main reason behind purchasing this one is to have as a DD. Luckily for me, I bought a set of 33x12.50 ProComp Xterrains last week for a steal of a deal (don't really have anything to put them on, but they were $160 and have 75% tread) so tires aren't a big deal. I have a 79 Cj7 in the back yard as it is, so I can rob parts for the time being, but the frame worries me. My other CJ has a frame that is pretty bad off, so that one isn't an option, and my YJ frame will be going under the 79, so this one has to be straight and usable. Long story short, I am not buying this one to flip or part out unless I find some really bad juju with it. I miss having a DD Jeep and I need one back. I am kinda curious as to weather there is a top to it or not. That is one of those things I forgot to ask about, and I don't wanna call the guy back for a 3rd time today.

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Be sure to pull off the rear drive shaft if you are going to flat tow it. I read a story about a rear output bearing on a dana 300 getting hot, falling out and starting a fire just from flat towing.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #26
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the heads up Bob! I am used to my Q-trac where all I have to do is throw the t-case in N and the tranny in P. I plan on bringing up a few tools and trying to go through this Jeep pretty well. I just hope I have enough time. That and trying to tow a CJ with a 4.5" lift and 2.5" lift shackles with a stock Expedition on the interstate should prove interesting and time consuming. I still have to be back at work tomorrow night at 1730.

Unread 01-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #27
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Sounds like a parts rig for hard parts to me. I would expect it to have had the crap beaten out of it and look like swiss cheese. I also wouldn't be surprised if it had a T4 or SR4.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
scooter
1982 CJ7 

It sounds like its severly abused and beat. In the big picture consider how much you will spend repairing it. Wiring, a blown diff maybe, on and on and on. If you want a DD Id say pass unless you what a DD a few years from now and thousands later. Save yourself the headache.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
What do you need ANOTHER ______ FOR?! Where will it go? You said you were going to sell the last one!"
Sounds like me and my ex-wife when we were together... Women!

I'd probably go fo it - the cost of those upgraded parts are worth the price. Get it, and if it doesn't suit you, either sell it for what you got in it or even for a small profit. Or get a storage unit and park it til you can get to it. At least it is out of the hands of the kid that does immature damage to it and on to someone who will give it some tlc. I say the immature part cause What was he doing to rip bumpers off and do burnouts in 4wd in the front yard??? Soundslike he had too much Recipe and was just out doing things to try to do damage..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #30
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Well, a little update, I went to see the Jeep today, exhausted and weary eyed, but still made the 5 hour round trip drive. Here's what I found:
True Currie 9" rear, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker, Diff is clean inside, teeth didn't look chewed up from what I could tell (old oil but no metal in the oil)
Front D44 from a NT CJ running wheel spacers
258 in pretty dang good shape, clifford valve cover, clifford intake, holley carb, unknown headers, accel ign, ran very smooth, and the motor was ice cold when he went to start it (i checked first) and it started right up on the first bump of the ign.
D300 twin stick w/4:1 low range, everything seemed tight yet smooth, and all worked well.
4 spd tranny with R being all the way to the right and back, but very smooth, new clutch, didn't leak at all and was full of fluid
4" TrailMaster springs/lift, currie greasable shackles
Spyder Customs tie rod and drag link
Frame was immaculate, solid, and powder coated semi gloss black
Body was in VERY good shape, although had a couple little spots in the floor that had been patched. I saw two places that had new metal welded on the floor, both about 2"x4". I put my hands behind the dash and the windshield hinges, no rot there, nor under the roll bar mounts.
Bestop trail seats, roll bar cover
Has a Trail Utility rack that mounts to the windshield and the back of the body for a cargo rack
Tub is a little hacked up where the tcase shifters come through, and the Jeep was orig. t400/qtrac
Windshield frame is 100% good
Tuffy stereo console (no key)
6x9 soundwedges on the roll bars
The bad:
Paint is faded
Brake lines need hooked up (has brand new goodridge lines, just need put in
Wiring is a NIGHTMARE!!!! I looked under the dash and the first thing I see is 2 extension cords run from under the dash to the engine bay. I stopped looking at that point.
Seats are moldy from being outside
There is no top, but the supertop hardware is all there
Missing gauges/not hooked up all the way
Steering box is really sloppy (I have a spare)
T-case skid plate isn't the correct one and it is half assed on there with long bolts all the way through the frame
Steering column leaves a little to be desired-wiring is all shot-needs rebuilt
No back seat
covered in red clay mud
PO used POR15 on the inside of the tub and it looks like crap.

Pics are here:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.