Good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Good deal?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
sailormike

Good deal?

Well year after I totaled my TJ I'm back in the market for a new jeep. I found this 84 cj for sale and was wondering if you all thought it was a decent deal. The body is a bit rough but no rot anywhere, really just a little beat up from rocks and what have you and in need of paint. the main gauges work IE speedo gas temp and so on.

Up for sale is a 1984 CJ7. This Jeep has been set up more as a trail rig/rock crawler than a daily driver.

The Jeep has been built with: 35” super swampers TSLs on D-window steel wheels, Dana-30 front axle with 4.10 gears and over size disk brakes, Rear AMC M-20 with superior one piece axles and 4.10 gears, 3” add a leaf lift kit with 1” body lift, Dana-300 Transfer-case, T-18 transmission 4-speed, 258 inline 6-cylinder with all new Clifford 6=8 intake and exhaust, High steer kit with him joints on tie-rods and drag-links, Brake line extenders, rock guards and corner armor, recessed tail light, spare tire carrier for up to a 37” tire, front and rear tow receivers, hard top with full doors, full roll cage, and newly rebuilt Carburetor.

The Jeep has an intermittent blinker problem, and half of the gauges on the dash don’t work. The tub is limited to surface rust only but in over all rough shape. The frame is rust free and has no cracks. The jeep is a little cold blooded to start up but drives fine. When I put the 35” tires on I never had them balanced, so when driving speeds over 40MPH the jeep wants to bounce all over the place.

This jeep is a great running crawler project that requires very little work. It only needs your personal touch.

Im only asking $2250 obo.

sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

It sounds like a decent deal. You may want to ask him if he did SOA on it. High steer kit makes me think he went SOA, and the fact that 35" tires would be pushing it with only a 3-4" lift. When you get up there you have to remember the Dana 30/AMC20 may not take much abuse at all with 35"+ tires.

Is this going to be your daily driver? If so, and if it it "wants to bounce all over the place" then you may be getting into a can of worms, especially if it's SOA.
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
sailormike

I'll be sure to ask about the SOA lift. In the pictures the guy he bought it from cut the front fenders to make them wanna be tube fenders and looks like he cut the back as well. He says the reason it bounces all over the place is cause the tires aren't balanced. he took the other tires off and put them on his other jeep, and put these on his self but didn't get them balanced. I'll use it as a DD, but I'm a merchant sailor and I'm not home all that often, it might be used 4 or 5 months out of the year. Thanks for the input.

I just got the email back, it's a 3in add a leaf and a 1in body lift.

Last edited by sailormike; 02-08-2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: new info
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Unbalanced tires would not cause it to bounce all over the place. I suspect his 3" add a leaf set up. Springs should be calibrated for a good ride. A ride for rock crawling or a ride for the street or, a compromise of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
This jeep is a great running crawler project that requires very little work. It only needs your personal touch.
A project that requires very little work.
Anywho, the price seems good if not just for parts alone The Clifford stuff ain't cheap and a hard top is an easy $700.00. VPM or EPM is what I question. Value per mile ...enjoyment per mile. I love to go off road and I also love driving around town/city/county/state. Especially to get to off road fun. A rock crawler is a specialized ride.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

That is certainly SOA then. It is a good deal, if I was looking for one I would buy it, but not for a daily driver. I've seen worse and better, it's worth the money but like I said I couldn't drive that every day. With a 3" add a leaf, plus SOA, that thing is going to be handling very squirrely. But you're really going to have to drive it to tell. Chewed up aggressive mud tires can really shake a vehicle. Just take a ride with me in the Willys that has some old hard Buckshot Mudders missing a few lugs and you'll know what I mean.

With 4.10 gears, if you don't crawl or abuse it, the stock axles may hold up. But for what it looks like he was building it for, they will grenade on you pretty quick. The Clifford intake and exhaust is also a plus. It sounds like he's sporting the original Carter BBD which isn't my favorite. The Clifford intake manifold will allow you to run a 4 barrel carburetor, but you can get an adapter plate to run a standard 2 barrel, which is probably what's on it. The hardtop and full doors are a big plus as well. They're not easy to come by most of the time, and they can be expensive.

For around town it may be fine, but it would take some nerves to get that thing wound up on the interstate on a daily basis.
Unread 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
sailormike

It is NOT A SOA it's just a 3 in adda leaf. i was thinking the same thing about the parts on it are worth the money he's asking. I almost sure that I will buy it. How hard would it be to remove the lift on it now and say replace it with a SOA or a smaller add a leaf? I would only be useing this for a part time DD and as mch play time as I could get in while I'm home. I just don't wanna get it home and find out there is so much work to be done on it that I can't play till next year.
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
sailormike

Here's a link with pictures and a little video clip Let me know what you guys think should I buy it?

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25532
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I would think that is worth the $2200 he is asking.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

In that case it does look like a 4 barrel carburetor of some sort. I didn't catch those pictures. From what I can tell it is just a SUA setup, I guess he just cut the fenders for better clearance. It looks pretty solid, there's definitely some rust on the tub but hopefully the frame is solid. You can tell how shot the leaf springs are in that video when he takes a turn. The thing is floating all over the place. If you can get some new 4" lift springs that would do wonders to the handling.
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
sailormike

UPDATE it's $1800 I think I'm buying it but would still be greatful for some more input. Thanks again everyone
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
UPDATE it's $1800 I think I'm buying it but would still be greatful for some more input.
Why did it go to $1800.00 ?
Offer him $1500.00, ?, , .
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
sailormike

He said his wife wanted it gone. I did offer $1500 for it, he said $1800 was as low as he would go. I guess I get an A foe effort though.
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I guess I get an A foe effort though.
Or, a "F" for failure, .
You are listening to the wrong person. You are offering your money to the wrong person, .
Actually, I would buy it but .... I would try to get it for less. It seems like it could happen.
Me, myself, ... with so little time (as your schedule allows you), I would want something more road ready, street worthy. To enjoy. Any decent stock CJ will not embarrass you off road.
I would try to get it for less, but $1800.00 ? Why is he giving it away ?
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
sailormike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
Or, a "F" for failure, .
I would try to get it for less, but $1800.00 ? Why is he giving it away ?
I don't know why he's giving it away, But I could part it out and make money on the deal and use it to buy a more stock CJ if i see that I don't have the time to fix it up a little and use it.
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
-jeep-jeep-
1983 CJ7 

i cant get the link to the pictures to work
Jeep # 4 - 1999 wj stock and still pretty
-jeep-jeep- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.