Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #61
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Matt & SKT

I'll definitely check that thread out. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll be asking lots of question as I go.

Speaking of, should I start a new thread once I get the jeep home and start working on it or just use this one?

matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #62
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewleeblair

Speaking of, should I start a new thread once I get the jeep home and start working on it or just use this one?
I say start a new thread, and put a link in your first post to this thread so folks can read the back story if they'd like.

Here's the link to Ken's thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...hread-1040550/

It's getting to be a long thread, but will inevitably be a huge help for what you're about to get yourself into.

Keep us posted with any/all updates!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #63
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewleeblair View Post
Papa355... I hope you get that tractor one day. So cool that you get to see it being used still, but I know you'd love to own it.

Fred... I think dad would be proud. Emotional day.

thx brother. They still call it Ethan's tractor even (that is my grandpa's name)

I am so glad that the Cj found it's way home
Good luck to you.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #64
JakeRod13
1978 CJ7 

Great story and good looking jeep!! Take your time with it and don't be in a hurry or get too frustrated. The people on this forum have tons of info on CJs, give good advice, and are just good people in general.

I think the story and history on this jeep makes it well worth the $4000 that you paid!
JakeRod13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #65
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the Jeep! I think it looks to be in great condition and im glad you didn't have to sell your truck for it. Your story for it was a good read, thanks! Its going to be a fun project and something to be proud to have in the family.
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #66
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys... so glad I didn't have to sell the truck. I'll be paying $4500 for it. That's been his asking price, and he has been so cool to me through the whole thing that I don't feel right to try and talk him down. I've got the $500 and now the $4000, so I'm good to go. I'll take pictures tomorrow and make a post about bringing it him. Then I'll probably start a new thread. Can't wait to get this thing running. All the advice I've received, am receiving & I'm sure will get in the future is so appreciated.

By the way... ROOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDEEEEEEE!!!!

Sorry. Just finished whisper screaming as the boys won it. Can't wake up the little one lol.

Been a great day
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #67
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Matthew, when you next sit in the drivers seat, look at the passenger seat and close your eyes. Your Dad is there with a smile on his face. He's your copilot now.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #68
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Bill... it feels so strange sitting in the Jeep. So strange to see it in my driveway. I can't really explain how it makes me feel. Generally, I will say that it makes me feel... well... good.

I wanted to make a final post in this thread before I start my new one on getting the Jeep running.

Yesterday, I was getting so excited. It was such a great day. Splurged a little at the grocery store. This is what happens when I shop for groceries haha.

My friend Rusty let me borrow his trailer to haul the Jeep home, and my friend Chris helped me pick it up and get it home. Here it is in tow...

My little girl likes the CJ already. Can't wait to take her for a ride one day. The blue Jeep in the picture is my friend Chris's.

This has already been such an incredible journey... and it is sooooo just beginning. Thank you all for the support, encouragement & advice this far. I know I'll need more along the way. This forum is a great thing for me. God bless you all.
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #69
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Congrats man! Love the story behind this and looking forward to the build.
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #70
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

The pics of your little girl in that seat make it all worth it....grandpa is smilin' from above.....damn, I'm getting teary.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #71
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Hey guys... I've started a new thread. You can check it out here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/go...p-cj7-1431976/
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #72
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Whoops... That's a link to this thread. I'll try to fix it later. I'm on my phone.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #73
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Just found this thread. Congrats on tracking down the family CJ! Nice to see another Blair CJ owner.
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #74
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Trying this again...

This should be the link to the new thread that I started:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...rloom-1435410/
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #75
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I'm not getting many replies to the new thread, so I'm going to just keep going with this one.

Since getting the Jeep, I have replaced the battery, sat the back seat in the back (it didn't come with brackets, PO said it's a wrangler seat), cleaned the carburetor Venturi assembly, & replaced a couple of the gaskets in there. After getting it back together, I prayed it would fire up & idle. I MADE IDLE!!!!!!!

I decided to take it for a spin around the block. My wife said, "Do you know how to drive it?" I said yes & no, haha. I've driven a stick once before for a day, and wasn't very good at it. I figured I have to learn some time. Five stalls, 2 weird looks from neighbors, and my kidneys shook loose later, I pulled back into the carport. Whew.

I'm such a noob.

Totally embarrassed that I cannot drive it well, but confident that I'm going to be able to learn to drive it since I'm already learning how to fix it.

One thing I noticed before taking it for a spin... the blinkers do not work. I guess I'll have to track down the fuse and check that... then the wiring. Any tips?

Also, I picked up the hard top today form the PO. He didn't have any of the hardware to attach the top. Anyone know what size bolts and screws I need for this?

One last thing... I found a Jeep 4x4 shop about 15 miles from my house. Almost all the guy sells is Jeep stuff. I need to replace my front shocks (one of them is locked up). I can't remember what kind he said he sells, but he said they are about $40 a piece. The guy said he's had the shop for 50 years, but with the economy he's not sure he'll make it another 6 months. I may try to do as much business with him as I can. I may end up paying a little more, but I'd hate to see them close.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Tags
cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.