Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #31
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Did you get your time to view the jeep?

Unread 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Still waiting to hear from the guy. He's reeeeeeal laid back. In no hurry. Which is a good thing in some ways. Still can't wait to see it though. Hopefully he will text tonight to set up a time.
matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

I'm actually getting excited for you!
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Haha! Thanks man!
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #35
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Got in touch with the owner. I'm going to see the Jeep tomorrow sometime after 4. Can't wait!

How will I be able to tell things like what kind of transmission it has and what axles, etc.?
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Here is something I used for my jeep

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ax...tion-chart.htm
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #37
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Good luck and I hope you end up with it. "my Jeep" is actually my dads jeep that he bought new in 1973. There is no way i would ever part with it. not for a million dollars. I have been hoping to find an old 71 ford truck my dad sold 20 years ago. I am sure i will never see it but i keep hoping. If I did find it no way would i pass up the chance to buy it even if i had to pay double what the truck would be worth and i by no means have much extra cash laying around.
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #38
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I've got a buddy going with me who's a Jeep enthusiast. He's had couple CJ7s, a levi's edition and a renegade I believe.

We should be getting there with enough daylight left to get some good pictures. I'll post tomorrow night.

If I just have a free account, what would be the best way to post pictures?
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #39
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Load them to Photobucket and then post them here. Good luck!
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Like they say, pictures or it never happened
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #41
papa355
1977 CJ7 

you made me cry a little bit. brought back memories of my grandpa's tractor. I did not have the money to buy it when he passed. But a very good family friend bought all 4 of my grandpa's tractors. He told me they are never leaving his farm, because he thought of my grandpa as his own grandpa. Does not change the fact that I still want the tractor, but helps knowing where they are. I drive by and see them working, almost everyday. But I will not be happy until that one tractor finds it's way home

If I were in your shoes, I would buy it back. But I know how scarce cash is now days, good luck !!!
When I can, I am going after my grandpa's tractor. Do I need it?......no. Do I want it?.............yes.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Okay, so presumably you've been to see the CJ? WHERE ARE THE PICS???????

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #43
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Where to start. On my way to meet my friend to go see the Jeep I made sure that I had $500 cash (all the cash I have available at the moment that isn't budgeted for bills) to offer as a downpayment for the Jeep. I did this in hopes he would give me until mid-February to get the rest of the money together. Here's where things get crazy...

I stopped at Walmart before I met my friend, and as I was leaving the parking lot I saw a family on the corner (mom, dad and daughter). The dad had a sign that said "lost my job, need money for rent and need food). Everyone in front of me was just ignoring the guy and I could see he looked desperate. I was thinking, "Man... I can't give him any of this cash or I won't have the downpayment." I pulled up, told him I couldn't give money, but that I would swing by McDonald's (in Walmart parking lot) buy them all some food and bring it back. He was glad. I got the food and by the time I pulled back up to the corner (not long after) they were gone. I was so confused... I looked everywhere for them. Even back at McDonald's in case he thought I said to meet there. Nowhere to be found. I even stopped some Walmart employees on break outside to see if they saw them. They said they never did. I asked them if they wanted the food. They were elated haha (young guys). Why is this pertinent?

It immediately made me remember when I was about 7 or 8. My mom and I (she and dad were split by then) were really struggling then (no place for a little while, stayed with some family, broke, etc.). We had stopped through the same McDonald's to get a burger. As we were pulling through the parking lot there was a homeless guy, way worse off than us. I asked mom if I could give him my food. She said yes. We stopped and I asked if he wanted my burger... he was so thankful. One of the kindest faces I've ever seen. As we pulled off I looked back to see him and he was gone. Like disappeared, gone. Mom didn't see him anywhere. We drove around and never saw him. When I gave the Walmart guys that food I believe God was teaching me something. (if you don't believe in God, I'm not looking for a debate or discussion on that so please ignore) I believe God was reminding me of the truth, refresh others and you yourself will be refreshed.

Pics are coming... I promise... but you have to hear the rest of this. Trust me.

After we had looked at the Jeep for a while, I told the guy that I had the $500 for a downpayment. The catch is I won't have the rest until February. I explained that everyone had been telling me not to sell the truck (including him haha), and that my wife and I knew we could come up with it all by then (little nervous about that, but pretty sure we could). Without hesitation he said for us to keep the $500, he didn't need a downpayment, and I could have until the end of February to get the rest and he would keep the Jeep for me until then. Refreshed. We shook on it (still means something to both of us unlike most folks these days). I was so excited!

Here's where it gets even crazier...

I called my mom, because I was so excited. She was at a client/best friend's house decorating (mom is an interior designer). He friend answered the phone. I thought it was mom so I started to tell her about seeing the Jeep. She stopped me and said it wasn't mom. We laughed and she handed mom the phone. I told mom everything I just told y'all. She was excited too. About 30 minutes later mom calls back. She said her friend wanted to talk to me. Her friend told me that she thought I needed to have the Jeep and she wanted to loan me $4000 to get it. WHAT!!?? I told her I didn't know what to say... She asked me what I would do if she sent the check with mom for me, and I said I'd get the Jeep asap haha. I told her she didn't have to do that, and she said she knew but wanted to. I can't believe this is happening. So crazy. I'm so thankful to God for this.

The next message will have the info on the Jeep.
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #44
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Whether you know it or not, your Dad is talking to you, brother.....listen to what he has to say.....

"Get the CJ back, Son".

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #45
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

The Jeep isn't in quite as good of condition as the owner thought, but it isn't that bad. My buddy helped me give it a good look. We learned a good bit more about it. There is some rust here and there. The worst is on the windshield frame. The rest doesn't look that bad. Non of it is rusted through that we could tell or very large spots, so it definitely isn't rusted out. To be expected.

We also learned that white is not the original color. It was either black or a dark dark green. Called my cousin, and he said that my dad did get it painted white when he got it in 1985. It was also painted white again by one of the guys who bought it after dad had it.

Found out why he put another engine in it. There was a bullet hole in the body on the driver's side fender by the engine. Long story short his son was playing with a .50 old powder rifle that accidentally had a slug in it. It was supposed to just go bang, but it shot a huge slug through the body and into the engine. Crackhead lol. He still has the old engine by the way and may throw it in (may be good for some parts ??).

My buddy said the axles were Dana 30 on the front and 35 on the rear. It is a SOA. He said he thinks I need to put the spring back to original position and put a lift kit on it. He showed me where the SOA lift causes the driveshaft to over extend a good 2 inches or more exposing the teeth on the back side and close to it on the front side. He said it's fine like that for normal use, but could cause problems at weird angles.

There was something else he said that was underneath that I can't remember. He said it was what he wanted on his Jeep and that it is bulletproof... maybe the driveshaft or transmission??? Can't remember.

We couldn't get it to crank. The battery was dead. We put a charge on it and tried again. My buddy thinks it's the solenoid or the starter. He is leaning towards the solenoid since that's where the loudest of the clicking was coming from. Too bad... I really wanted to here it run.

He said the carb definitely needs work... it leaks gas and won't idle.

The seats are pretty worn out, but I think they are the same seats when dad had it. Felt so amazing to sit in that seat and grab the wheel.

One of the POs has installed a CD player and took the back seat out to install a dual sub box. The box isn't bolted in or anything. It's way too big as well. He has a wrangler back seat that he never installed.

Enough typing... I'll try to load some pics. Not the best quality. Got there as the sun was going down.

Tags
cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.