Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I'm going to see the Jeep either today or tomorrow. Any tips or ideas on what to look for or how to negotiate a better price or evaluate whether or not its worth the straight up $4500 he's asking for it?

matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Make sure the frame isn't tweaked or rusted beyond repair. Anything else is relatively easy to fix on the fly.

I hope you get it. To me, and everyone else has said this, the $4500 is worth it just from the sentimental aspect.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

What would be a better choice... To rebuild the carb if I get the jeep or replace it with a new one?
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Well, I'm a purist, and I like originality. If the carb is the original, I'd rebuild it because A)It's fun to do that kind of stuff and B)It's keeping the carb original....again, I'd want to keep anything that my Dad worked on. Just imagine the fact that he may very well have put a screwdriver to the idle mixture screws; now you get to do that.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
pinkey75
1982 CJ7 

Personally I would go with a Motorcraft 2100. Googe Jeep mc2100 and you can read all about it. More power, more reliable, just a better carburator. This guy on ebay sells a complete bolt on kit. I would also suggest eliminating all emissions components if your state allows it on a historic vehicle. i deleted all my emissions garbage and I love it. The motor runs like it's supposed to now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MotorCraft-2...sories&vxp=mtr
pinkey75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #21
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I agree with everyone else...You were able to find that Jeep for a reason and let alone that it is for sale. The price seems fair as long as the rust is under control. as far as selling your F150 goes its a bit risky but my CJ is my daily driver.. and once you get it you can always save for a little beater commuter car as a back up. I'd buy it man..Its your Dad's not just a jeep like it...
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Matthew,

Over 20 years ago, when my father got too old to drive, I had the same dilemma as you...whether to buy his 1981 CJ7, or let him send it down the road with someone else.

I could afford it, but I really didn't need another vehicle. I knew it would be nothing but a garage ornament, until I had time and money to fix her up. Sentimentality won over practicality, and I bought my father's CJ. He passed away shortly thereafter.

Only recently have I had time to work on the Ol' Girl. I've felt my father looking over my shoulder, with a big grin, the whole time. It's truly been a labor of love, and I'm so happy I didn't let my father's CJ get away.

Make it happen, Matthew.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I live in Alabama. From what I see online we don't have any emissions laws. I didn't think we did anyway. I've never had any of that inspected before when registering a vehicle.

How would I know what to remove? Also, any write-ups on how to install a new carb if I go that route. Still not sure if I'd rebuild the old or get a new one.
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Matthew, emissions equipment does NOT make your vehicle run like crap, improper maintenance does.

I don't know about you, but I like breathing clean air, and that is what the EGR, air pump and catalytic converter do. Some guys on here are indifferent about it, but I want to make sure that my kids will be able to breathe, when they're old enough to go Jeepin'.

It's up to you, but I'd keep it on, even if Bama doesn't have any laws, just make sure it's in operating condition.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
mayberry1976
1976 CJ7 

I know I am a little late to the decision but I definitely say go for it. I have tried to find my papaw's(dad's side) 1976 F100 over the years and the last record of it being registered was 2002. He passed in '99 and the truck was sold after he passed. The DMV will give me the last registered owner only if I swear I will not attempt to contact them.... I now am looking for my grandmother's (mom's side) 76 Nova 4 door. Not only is it a Jeep which you have good memories of it is THE jeep that you have good memories of. The repairs will be a labor of love unlike any other vehicle.
mayberry1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
wm69

I'd get it. $4500 is a decent price on a Jeep with hardtop and doors if it isn't rusted out or wrecked, and the sentimental value makes it priceless.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #27
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

OK... talked to the owner on the phone tonight. He's calling me back tomorrow to set up a time to look at the Jeep together either Thursday or Friday.
I've reconnected with an old friend from high school who is a CJ owner and enthusiast. He is going to go with me to look at the Jeep.

I received more details from him tonight over the phone:
It has a spring over axle lift. I do not know much about this other than the fact they took the springs off the bottom of the leaf and put them on top. I don't know how this compares in inches or ride.

It has 33" 1250 tires. The tires have about 5,000 miles on them.

He replaced the engine with another 258 4.2L straight 6. The guy he bought it from said it had 50,000 miles on it.
He said the engine had some build up on it, but he had a friend check it out with him. Said all cylinders have good, high compression and it cranks and runs great. He's barely driven it since putting in the new engine.

It has a 4 speed manual transmission. No other details on that.

As far as he knows it has factory axles. He said no danas or anything, but he did mention having one replaced. He didn't say what it was replaced with.

It comes with the hard top and hard doors. The picture I have shows that the top was just sitting on top. He said he has never actually bolted it in & isn't even sure how.
It also comes with a bikini top.

It has no back seat installed. He got a back seat from a wrangler to put in it, but never installed it.

He said the tires shimmy when he applies the brakes. He isn't sure if this has to do with the ball joints needing to be replaced or something with the brakes.

He said the windshield has rust all along the bottom of the frame. He said there is also some rust somewhere on the front fenders sides (couldn't explain where very well) but that it had not rusted through. No other rust that he is aware of. I don't remember seeing this rust when I saw it a couple years ago, so I'm hoping it is just surface and easily fixed.

He said it definitely needs a carb rebuild or replaced. He said it runs fine as long as you're moving, but if stopped it will not idle long and just dies.
After doing a little research I'm thinking replacing it with a MasterCraft 2100 (thanks for the tips on that).

My wife and I have been trying to figure out a way to buy it without selling my truck. I could get together $1000 cash right now. We could use about $2000 from our tax return in January, and if I could get him down to $4000 I could borrow the other $1000.

Then I could just do the work as the money is available and still have my dependable F150 truck.

Any thoughts? Do you guys think he'd go for $4000. Also, info on the spring over axle? Sorry for the novel.
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #28
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Hey, you may be able to get him down to 4k, especially with the carb, rust and other issues. I'm not sure how much each repair is, but if you can get a total from guys on this forum, you'd have some ammo to help get it down.
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

spring over axle done by someone who seems to not know much about his own jeep would concern me, cause if done incorrectly or poorly, it could be a death trap at highway speeds. First thing i'd do is return it to a spring under axles with a lifed spring if that is what you desire. By his somewhat vague description i think you are in for a jeep that will need quite a bit of work to bring it back to speed, or at least make it a DD, so DONT sell your truck. Also, i happen to think the stock carb (carter) is fine if you just accept the fact it will need rebuilding every couple years, and its easy, cheap ($20), and can be done in an hour or two. I'd focus on that lift first.
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice. The lift was done when my dad bought the Jeep back 1985. Being that its been that way since then, would you think differently about it? It was my dad's DD for all 6 years he had it. I am definitely trying to find a way not to sell my truck, but if it came down to it & he had to sell it right then & I had no other way to get it... I'd pull the trigger on the truck.

Thanks again for all the help guys. This means so much to me and its so encouraging to have everyone as a resource.

Tags
cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.