Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Is this is a good deal? 1983 Jeep CJ7

Posted this in another thread, but found this one & thought I would post here.

My dad died in 1991 when I was 9. His parents sold his 1983 Jeep CJ7. The last time I saw him, he was in the Jeep. Most of my happiest memories of him are attached to the Jeep. A couple years ago I decided to try to find it. I FOUND IT! The guy that owns it is only lives about 10 miles from my house.

I met him, & he let me look at the Jeep. I told him if he ever wants to sell to please tell me first. Well, he's ready to sell it. Now to figure out how to get the money together. Probably have to sell my truck (2003 Ford F150 very dependable).

He's asking $4500 for it. He said he replaced the engine recently which is a 258 4.2L straight 6. He said it's running but that the carb needs to be rebuilt, needs some break work (shakes when he's braking), & sometime in the near future the ball joints will need to be replaced.

Is this a fair price? I don't believe there is any rust. Comes with hard top and hard doors & I think a bikini top. I have not given it a test drive. What would the repairs mentioned above approximately run me?

matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty clean and thats about how much they go for around Idaho. It sounds as if the sentimental value is worth it. I don't think I could sell my truck for a jeep and drive it daily though. keep us updated on your decision!
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

It's your Dad's CJ-7 and it looks to be in good shape.......BUY IT BACK!!!!!

Carb rebuild kits are cheap, less than $20 and you can rebuild it yourself.

If it shakes, when you brake, the rotors probably need to be turned....depending on where you live, it's anywhere from $15-$40 per rotor at a machine shop or about $55 if you buy new.....pads are no more than $20 for the set....this is for the front discs....brake shoes for the rear are $60 for the set....drums are about $56 each.

Ball joint kits are $42.

You can get all these parts here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/

Good luck getting your Dad's CJ-7 back.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Heres some in the same price range to compare.
http://boise.craigslist.org/bar/3355846610.html
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3349223048.html

And well if this is real Id drive to ID to pick it up! lol
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/3331695434.html
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

You need to ask yourself if that price is worth it. If I had a chance to buy one of my father's (who passed away when I was 10) VW Bugs that he had when I was a child, I would scrape the money together. I would probably even sell my CJ7.
You sound like you have fond memories of the Jeep and your dad. Heck, I just installed an original ciggy lighter in my CJ and I sat there for 15 minutes thinking about how my father use to use a lighter just like it to fire up a Salem ciggy.
It all boils down to your personal attachment to the vehicle.
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewleeblair
Posted this in another thread, but found this one & thought I would post here.

My dad died in 1991 when I was 9. His parents sold his 1983 Jeep CJ7. The last time I saw him, he was in the Jeep. Most of my happiest memories of him are attached to the Jeep. A couple years ago I decided to try to find it. I FOUND IT! The guy that owns it is only lives about 10 miles from my house.

I met him, & he let me look at the Jeep. I told him if he ever wants to sell to please tell me first. Well, he's ready to sell it. Now to figure out how to get the money together. Probably have to sell my truck (2003 Ford F150 very dependable).

He's asking $4500 for it. He said he replaced the engine recently which is a 258 4.2L straight 6. He said it's running but that the carb needs to be rebuilt, needs some break work (shakes when he's braking), & sometime in the near future the ball joints will need to be replaced.

Is this a fair price? I don't believe there is any rust. Comes with hard top and hard doors & I think a bikini top. I have not given it a test drive. What would the repairs mentioned above approximately run me?
Hey man,

This isn't just another CJ, it's your dad's! Buy it...you may never get this chance again. I still have my dad thankfully, but when I tried to track down his CJ7, I found it had been scrapped and the body/frame sent to a crusher. I only have a few pieces of his left, so I can only imagine how it'd feel to own this. It's going to be hard for you to be objective too I know, as I was the same when I bought mine.

$4500 isn't a bad deal; especially if its clean. I know when I bought mine there was a list of problems...which grew as i have gotten into it. How much work are you willing to do yourself?
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxie View Post
And well if this is real Id drive to ID to pick it up! lol
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/3331695434.html
That CJ has been for sale in every state in the US. I messed with the scammer about a year ago. He 'claimed" it was in a warehouse in FL. I knew it was a fraud so just kept on him to go see it. Always had an excuse but wanted my money.
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Hoxie... selling my truck is my only real hesitation. Btw, that last craigslist ad does seem too good to be true.

Flynes... thanks for the info on the repairs! My father-in-law & I usually do all the brake work on our vehicles. I was thinking it might just be the rotors, but being new to Jeeps I wasn't sure if it might be something else. I've got a place here in town I can take my rotors in to them & they'll turn em for $10 a pop. The rest sounds pretty reasonable as well.

Project 23... I definitely have an attachment to the vehicle. It would be great to have something with powerful happy memories of dad's. I was remembering all kinds of stuff when I saw it in the guy's garage. It's worth far more sentimentally to me than $4500. However, I'm interested in what a stranger to the Jeep would say it's worth. Don't want the guy to put the wool over my eyes just because he knows it's my dad's. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy though.

ghbatt... I'm definitely willing to work on it. I mean, I need it to be drivable. I only live 2 miles away from my work, so I won't be too hard on it. However, I do some running around during the day at times. My wife and I have a Honda Odyssey minivan as well, so we will still have a very dependable vehicle for the family. I don't mind doing minor repairs, but I don't need it to be something that's just a "project".

Thanks for the info and encouragement so far. I'll keep everyone posted on the decision. I'm crossing my fingers that when I tell my grandparents that dad's Jeep is for sale they will say they want to pay for it or chip in. It's a total long shot; however, they can afford it & they sold it in the first place (when I really wish they would have kept it for me). I don't expect them to at all. I'm nervous about asking them to help though. They know I found the Jeep, so maybe when I tell them that it's for sale and that I'm thinking of selling my truck to get it, they may make a kind gesture. One can dream haha.
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

I would definitely try and buy it. Plus, 4500 is what he is asking. He might be negotiable. Worth a shot and you might even get it for cheaper. Good luck!!! Also, try to get some better pics.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

diddy2003... I was planning to offer $4000, or just ask him what his bottom dollar is seeing how I'm having to contemplate selling my truck. Sorry about the pics. There was no light in the garage and I just snapped em with my phone. I'm going to go by some time soon and take it for a spin and get some better pics.
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
row684
1984 CJ7 

It the rest of the jeep is a solid as the pics make it look then yeah I'd say its worth it.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
1978CJ5Beast
1978 CJ5 

I think I'm goons share the same sentiment as most on this thread. For any CJ7 of that year, if it's in the condition he is claiming, that a decent price. I have seen more and less. But when you throw the fact in that it was your fathers, heck ya. He sat in that seat, turned that stealing wheel. My father is 71 and when he passes there are things he has solely because of the memories I have. A hat which costs $20 new becomes priceless because. My it was his. I'd say go for it, restore it and make memories with your kids with it! my $.02
1978CJ5Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

One concern I'm hearing from a lot of folks is having only the CJ7 as my daily driver (will still have the dependable van for the family vehicle). If its in the condition I've mentioned before, I replace or rebuild the carb, do the brake work, and replace the ball joints, is there any reason it wouldn't be a good daily driver?
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
1978CJ5Beast
1978 CJ5 

Does heater function? Gas mileage. The closer it is to stock the easier it would be for a daily driver. I have a friend here who has a 81 CJ7 all original minus 1 engine rebuild. Not in the best shape but its his daily driver. Other then gas and that typical CJ ride it works fine. The weather her in Ga helps, winters are mild.
1978CJ5Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewleeblair View Post
One concern I'm hearing from a lot of folks is having only the CJ7 as my daily driver (will still have the dependable van for the family vehicle). If its in the condition I've mentioned before, I replace or rebuild the carb, do the brake work, and replace the ball joints, is there any reason it wouldn't be a good daily driver?
If you are able to do the work yourself. Why not. Mine hasn't been to the point to where I couldn't drive it to work the next day. Although I do fix a lot of things before the do became problems. Repairs are usually easy, and parts are cheap and easy to come by.

I have had to drive the Jeep to work in the cold and rain (with no top) before because my F150 was broken down, and the repairs turned out to be much more work than I could finish in a day.

If you can't do the work yourself, and must rely on a shop to do it.......I wouldn't even own a CJ then, much less rely on it for an only vehicle.

Tags
cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.