Is this a good deal on a 1978 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this a good deal on a 1978 cj5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Jdooney76

Is this a good deal on a 1978 cj5

I am a newbie. Looking to buy my first jeep. It is a 1978 cj5. Was running 5 years ago. Po had replaced the body with a fiberglass tub, stainless hardware, stainless brake cables, it has the 258 i6. I believe tranny and axles are all stock for that year. No seats, no battery, a few plug wires missing. 31" bf goodrich good tires and rims. Paint and body in real good shape. Very little rust. He wants $2800. I'm not sure. I think I should tell him without seeing it run, all I can do is $2000. I work with the po brother and he said as far as he knows it was running fine when he parked it. It wasn't even advertised. It has just been sitting outside of house near me and I have seen it there for the last 5 years, and I took a shot and he said it was for sale. What do you guys think of it's worth with the info I have provided?

Jdooney76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

wait for another
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
bptactical

It doesn't sound like much of a deal. Around here a halfway decent old CJ in running condition hovers in the $2500.00 range. Something like you describe would be in the $1000.00-1500.00 range.
I just picked up a similar condition but all original 79 CJ7, 304, AT, Part time converted Hi-Lo range Quadratrac for some ammo and Gunsmithing work. Needs a tranny, top and interior.
Put $1500.00 cash in his face. If he takes it, cool otherwise move on.
bptactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

I wouldn't pay that much for one that hadn't run in 5 years.

Also if it hasn't run in 5 years no way would I consider the tires "good", they may have plenty of tread left but that doesn't really mean much if they're very old. They have a date code, I would check it.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Jdooney76

Thanks guys. I needed to hear that. I think I will tell him i could give him $2000 if he got it running again or $1500 as is. I was just pumped about not needing to do any body work. I have seen some that were running but were rust buckets.
Jdooney76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.