Is this a good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this a good deal?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
lewvsal

What do you think?

Hi All, I'm new to the forum although not new to jeeps. Had a 1998 cherokee which i sold for a 98 wrangler and have missed it ever since.

I'm looking into buying a CJ7 (1985, im partial to this year). I've found one in my area (socal), could you give me your opinions on what i should pay, what i should look out for, and any other advice? I'm planning on using this as a weekend/around town car. Not a DD, might do light offroad driving every once in a while but nothing crazy. Link to the ad is below

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...384719035.html

I spoke briefly to the seller. He said he bought the car 4 years ago. It came with the lift/suspension that's on it. Said it looks like it may have had a paintjob. Says it has no rust. Runs good and it has the 4.2 I6

That's all the info i've got. Let me know what you think. I'm really itching to get into a CJ but don't want to make an impulse buy on a junker.

Thanks again for your help, hopefully i'll become an involved member.

Last edited by lewvsal; 11-07-2012 at 02:46 PM..
lewvsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

sure looks good, but pictures can hide a lot of defects.

no spare tire

mis matched seats,

dirve at least 3 different jeeps before you put your money down,

you may come back to this one, but at least you will have a idea of whats out there and at what price.
if you do like it and it's the one, always offer less, you never know what another man's game is, he may take less.

take a buddy with you to look at the jeep,
old clothes so you can crawl under the jeep, magnet to check for bondo,
drive it over a rough or pothole road to check out front end
if motor is warm when you get there is may be hard to start cold,

*** ask for the engine to be cold when you get there so you can check all fluid levels. (but really you want to know how hard it is to start) (cold engine).

good luck,

there are some nice well cared for jeeps out there, but there are a lot of old jeeps that have been rode hard and put up wet, then painted and powdered to look good.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
lewvsal

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't even notice the mismatched seats from the pics. Good advice on the magnet and driving others before buying. I hope to check it out this weekend and bringing a buddy who is a cj owner as well.
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
greywatson
1973 CJ5 

I'd say it entirely depends on what you plan to do with it. You can go ahead and plan to spend a fair amount of cash to get it to your liking after purchase -- even if you are hoping to buy it and drive it.

I just bought a 72 CJ5 outside of Los Angeles for $2,500 6 months ago. The drivetrain is solid but I wanted to get it back to a stock look -- so I'm fine waiting and putting it back together over time. My general outlook was "every 30+ year old jeep is going to need work, so I'm not paying over $2,500."

Attached is a photo from the day I bought mine.
red.jpg  
greywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
lewvsal

thanks for the help. you're right, anything 30+ years old that hasn't already been restored is going to need time/money put into it. I hoping to find something that will run for me without too many problems and hopefully put that time/money in a couple years down the road.
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
mvbrady
1986 CJ7 

That looks like a great Deal.....just heed the advice above,
If possible you should try and check it out ASAP.
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Adam013085

Price seems pretty good. Not great but not bad either. With only a bikini top, and I assume without doors, do you have a place to store it in bad weather (when cali gets it)?
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
lewvsal

yep got some good advice here. I'll be checking it out asap, possibly tomorrow. And yes, i've got a garage to store it in for the few days we get rain out here (will have to kick the wife's car out of the garage).
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Looks like a good deal to me. Those wheels/tires are about $1000. Check for rust behind those diamond plate rocker covers, inside the cab both sides just behind the joop is a bracket that's welded to the panel, if the diamond plates covering rust you should be able to spot it there. Also check for rust by the mounts for the rollbar behind the front seats. Once you do drive it, let it warm up and check the oil pressure gauge, they're notorious for loosing pressure but don't let that scare you.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

looks good but you have to see it in person. those tires might be shot, worn and weather cracked. everything looks better in a picture, once in a while it looks the same in person. look at it, drive it, check to see if it smokes or has a lot of blow-by. look at the tires real close for cracks. talk to him on the phone. good luck. if it all checks out then its a smoking deal.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

I will guarentee you that diamond plating is hiding something. Wonder how i know that, wish i had a pic handy of what mine was hiding when i bought it.
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.