Good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Good deal?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal?

Looking at buying this CJ. any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_500wt_1118

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Notice he says "basically untouched and not modified in any way" but then says that the engine and transmission have been rebuilt at some point...what point? As the owner of my vehicles, I try to make it a point of knowing when my engine and trans were rebuilt. If I didn't know, then I would say so. Then he says that he had the CJ repainted the original color....that's no longer basically untouched. He says there's no rust, but the fourth picture down shows rust, albeit surface, but still rust nonetheless. The stereo and speaker aren't original; neither are the seats. Look at the 7th and 15th pictures...see the circular hole right behind the roll bar? You can see the outside portion in the 15th pic....great place for water to get into. I won't even talk about the diamond plate rubber mats. This CJ is not "untouched" and has been modified.

I wouldn't pay that much for it. Just my opinion.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

I'd Carfax it and see if he is telling the truth!
Doesn't look bad in pics but the paint job is brand new with lots of overspray! is he covering up anything?
I don't think the price is bad if its really all what it says it is! I wouldn't give anymore!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Notice he says "basically untouched and not modified in any way" but then says that the engine and transmission have been rebuilt at some point...what point? As the owner of my vehicles, I try to make it a point of knowing when my engine and trans were rebuilt. If I didn't know, then I would say so. Then he says that he had the CJ repainted the original color....that's no longer basically untouched. He says there's no rust, but the fourth picture down shows rust, albeit surface, but still rust nonetheless. The stereo and speaker aren't original; neither are the seats. Look at the 7th and 15th pictures...see the circular hole right behind the roll bar? You can see the outside portion in the 15th pic....great place for water to get into. I won't even talk about the diamond plate rubber mats. This CJ is not "untouched" and has been modified.

I wouldn't pay that much for it. Just my opinion.
Ok putting the "all original" aspects aside, it looks very clean, and if it drives and shifts well, then why isn't it worth 5,900? Comparable cj's go for way more...
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
DirtyDevin
1983 CJ7 

It's an 86 so it may have the Dana 44. That itself is worth a bunch and very desirable.
DirtyDevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
taylorjb
1973 CJ5 

Could be a nice $4000 Jeep? Wouldn't know until you took it for drive and poked around. Tough thing to buy out of state over eBay because there is so much variation in condition among older Jeeps. It is getting harder to find ones that have been "untouched", but like Fred said above, not sure that is the case here.

Good luck with your search
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aduffy32 View Post
Ok putting the "all original" aspects aside, it looks very clean, and if it drives and shifts well, then why isn't it worth 5,900? Comparable cj's go for way more...
Not around here they don't. It's all about where you are, what you're willing to pay and then how much you're going to spend to fix the PO's mistakes.

I personally wouldn't take a $5900 chance, without looking it over in person first.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpbumper View Post
I'd Carfax it and see if he is telling the truth!
Carfax reports only go back so far. You'd be hard pressed to find much info on any CJ from carfax.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

It looks nice in the pictures. But I have never bought any car or truck that I did not see personally or drive it first. I would want to see it first hand before buying and have a price limit on what works for me not the seller. Good Luck.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
frankush
2002 WJ 

I'd pass. If the entire tub had been painted and it was rust free, I might consider it. Without being able to see and drive it, I couldn't part with 6K.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks fantastic, drives great and is a late model. That seems to be what he is saying so I would expect to pick it up and concur with that view or refuse to pay. I would not pay and have it shipped without seeing it first.

If he was wanting to hide rust he would have done something with those slightly rusty floors. 10 minutes work with a sanding disk and some rattle cans and they would have looked as good as new.

There are a few downsides, the interior has been taken out and replaced with mismatched front seats. OK, they may have been plastic originally and this was an upgrade but I would be thinking about buying a matching set of all seats, not just front ones. The dash looks pretty plain so this did not start off with a high spec, but so what?.

175,000 miles is about the limit on a 258 and transmission so I would want to confirm they HAD been rebuilt. Alternatively I would want to check their condition, maybe they were cared for and are good for another 100k. Not knowing I would assume they were tired.

There are few accessories and it is pretty well standard in most respects. This is a plus point in my view as it is a blank canvas upon which you can draw your idea of an ideal CJ.

There is no hard top, do you want one?

But nothing there that would stop me from buying it, unless the price was unreasonable.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Carfax reports only go back so far. You'd be hard pressed to find much info on any CJ from carfax.
A CJ is a vehicle, no different than any other! I traced my 84 all the way back to original owner!
I've purchased and sold 13 Cj/TJ/YJ's now! from 1948 to 2002.
If a person is smart and knows what should be on a 86' CJ and looks it over! they can come to a conclusion on how original it is! If a Carfax shows a 6 month change in hands! obviousely he isn't telling the truth.
Its $15.00 and may be the quick first step to proceding or walking away!
A smart person will use his tools available and not emediately dismiss something because it has the "Jeep" name!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

If you get on craigslist for Phoenix,Az the prices are crazy high.They seem to use Az. vehicle no rust but a vehicle 30 years old its hard to believe
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
bentring
1976 CJ5 

I like where he says it's normal for a leak on a 25 year old vehicle. Too bad they didn't engineer replaceable seals until the '90s.
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpbumper View Post
A CJ is a vehicle, no different than any other! I traced my 84 all the way back to original owner!
I wasn't referring to ownership. I was referring to repair records by VIN.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.