Gonna Rebuild my T150. LOL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Gonna Rebuild my T150. LOL

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Gonna Rebuild my T150. LOL

Okay in the interest of money and time and the fact I would like to get my jeep back on the road now and not 5 or more years down the road. I will attempt to rebuild my T150 3 speed trans. I figure 31 years and 50+ thousand miles of it behind a Chevy 350 a rebuild should realisticly get me years down the road. Unfort it will burn a bit more petrol! Anyway so any tips? Thoughts? Ideas? Intrusctions? I saw quadratec rebuild kits for like 100. I will pull it off the jeep in the next couple days and see what the gears look like. But It only broke bearings (what the mechanic said) and I drove it home from the shop with no grinding issues. So hopefully the teeth are all good! But I can purchase individual gears from 4wd if I have to. So whatever help I can get would be awesome!

Brian

CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Well, I was in the same boat as you and did it with only minor trouble. It really depends on what needs to be replaced as to how bad it will be. The best thing is to find a good schematic of the tranny, which I didn't have. Drain it, pull it out, and put it on a clean clutter free bench and start tearing into it. I had never done it before either but it all went back together and I've got no problems! Good luck!
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
Well, I was in the same boat as you and did it with only minor trouble. It really depends on what needs to be replaced as to how bad it will be. The best thing is to find a good schematic of the tranny, which I didn't have. Drain it, pull it out, and put it on a clean clutter free bench and start tearing into it. I had never done it before either but it all went back together and I've got no problems! Good luck!
Ya Im pretty anxious to know I think I wil l tear it out tom
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

anyone else do this?
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I used the Hayens manual and took pictures as I took it a part. The cashier at the drug store looked at me funny when I bought a big jar of vasaline to hold the needle bearings in.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
goodolkell
1979 CJ5 

It is not as bad as it seems it would be, I rebuilt an ax-15 myself after being quoted 1800+ to have a shop replace it.(couldn't find one to rebuild) I cost 600+ for shafts and shiftfork and the clutch too since I had everything out thought I might as well. Great learning experience, also taught me not to speed shift. Just keep things in order and clean work bench. If I can do ANYone can, good luck. Kell
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

you will need the pliers to remove the lock rings
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Get a strong pair of transmission external snap ring pliers from Snap-On. #PR16
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
You will not regret the purchase and do wear safety glasses and gloves.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.