Going over a 1978 CJ7 304, auto, quadratrac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Going over a 1978 CJ7 304, auto, quadratrac

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
NepaCJ7
1978 CJ7 

Going over a 1978 CJ7 304, auto, quadratrac

Once I get the CJ7 home that I am trading for here are my plans in going over it.

Specs: 1978 CJ7 with 304, 2 barrel holley on stock amc intake.
Headers into straight pipe ending in glasspacks exiting before rear wheels.
th400 auto transmission, quadra-trac transfer case, milemarker part time 4 wheel drive conversion added.
stock front and rear axle.
tilt front end one piece, 94 wrangler tub, full roll cage.
2.5 inch lift 32x11.50x15 tires
disc front ,drums rear.

Known problems:
Carb needs rebuilt or replaced
o-ring at bottom of transmission filler tube needs replacing
transmission pan gasket needs replacing.

(jeep leaks transmission fluid from these two points only)

Brakes need to be bled. Will work but you have to pump them a lot until they work.

Once I have this brought back on a trailer I am going to:
Replace the gasket and o ring
Change transmission fluid
Do an oil change ( using rotella t 15/40 for summer and 5/30 for winter)
Flush brake lines and bleed (Can dot 4 be used or will I have to use dot 3?
My current vehicle is dot 4 only so I have excess of it)
Change gear oil in diffs
Grease the drive shafts (if there are zerks to do so)
Drain fluid from quadra-trac and check the belt for any play, if within acceptable limits then fill with the special fluid.
New distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

A local friend who knows everything about carbs will look at my carb to see what the problem is and either we will rebuild it or I just pop on a mc2100 and be done.

I will inspect all of the hoses for any dry rot and replace if needed otherwise within 30 days after I have taken care of everything else I will replace all hoses so I know when it was done, and I will also be putting in a new radiator. Having been in the Army I am all about preventive maintenance instead of waiting till it breaks.

The following month will be an alternator, starter, power steering pump, and battery. It does not need these things but I want to know when they were put on. Each month I plan on going through a section of the Jeep and replacing things whether it needs it or not so I know from what date it was done and I can keep meticulous records in case it ever gets sold or traded.

I will also be doing wheel bearings, checking hubs, etc etc before winter.
I also have a complete re-wiring planned after which all bulbs will be replaced.
While I am doing the wiring I plan on putting in a new gas tank, and hopefully a much larger one than 15 gallon if possible. So new fuel lines, filter, and pump.

Can anyone think of anything else I should be looking at or checking? I have not talked about them but the suspension will not be fooled with until next year and The tops coming with it are good and I will have soft doors and half steel doors.

NepaCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.