GM corporate axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > GM corporate axles

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Ezredcj
1980 CJ7 

GM corporate axles

Anyone using corporate axles? I have an oppurtunity to buy a 79 3/4 ton chevy with a corporate 14 bolt rear (10 1/2" ring gear) and a corporate 10 bolt front . 4.10 gears. I'm working on a 350 swap in my cj and I'm wondering if any one has done this? Or have any feed back.
I can get this truck very cheap. Hopefully $200 to $300. would it be worth trying to use the axles?

Ezredcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'd say it depends on what your overall plan is for the Jeep and how much fabrication skills/$$$ you have. Anything is "possible" but "practical" is another story. That would be a pretty good setup for a trail rig. That 10 bolt is about as strong as a Dana 44 and probably good for up to about 35"-37" tires under a CJ. The 14 bolt is super tough.. but it's big too. If you run that 14 bolt with something like 35" tires, you'll be dragging a$$ over everything. You could shave the bottom to help a little. The axles are also wide. Your tires will stick out pretty far. You'd need to outboard the front spring hangers for the front axle. For the rear, you'd just need to move the spring perches. A plus is that both axles are setup for SOA already. Plus, the 10 bolt has at least a flat top knuckle on the driver's side (don't know about the passenger side) for a high steer setup that you'd need with the SOA. If it were me.. I would do it. I'd use that 10 bolt until it breaks. Probably toss in a lunch box locker. In the meantime, I'd save pennies for a front Dana 60 to better match the strength of the rear 14 bolt (the Dana 60 would then be a bolt-in swap for the 10 bolt). I'd run at least 39" tires on Hummer beadlocks. Scoot the rear axle back as far as possible for best driveshaft length/angle. Scrap the 14 bolt's rear drums and switch to disks (about the cheapest disk conversion of all the rear axles). Also, toss a Detroit into the 14 bolt (cheapest/easiest axle to swap a Detroit into too). In the end.. you'll wind up with something that will be worth about 1/3 of what you spent on it..... but it'll be fun to drive! I'm doing something similar with my CJ5 but using the Dana 60 front...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
RoostrRiz
1983 CJ7 

Only thing to watch out for with that 14 bolt is if it is equipped with a factory locker. As far as I know you cannot use a detroit in a factory locked 14 bolt due to differences in the cases between open and factory locked rears. And I think most people are familiar with Eaton's lockers lackluster performance.
RoostrRiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Performance Offroad in Alexandria, KY had used Hummer rims about a year ago . (859)-635-3058 ask for Roy. BTW...BESRK, your CJ5 looks awesome & unstoppable. What's the wheel base now? What suspension front and rear?
Unread 02-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the kind words.. wheelbase now is 99". It's still the SOA up front with 1.5" RE springs. The rear is a dual triangulated 4 link with Fox 14" coilovers. I've finally got all the link stuff and crossmembers done. Now I'm sorting out spring rates to get the correct ride height/travel/firmness. Next year I'll probably 3 link/panhard the front and move it forward another 3-4 inches. I hope to have it back on the trail by April so I can make a Spring run to Paragon.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.