glove box switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > glove box switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-02-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
CDJEEP

glove box switch

What is the "emergency" switch in the glove box of an 1978 cj-7 with quadra-trac and no hi-low floor shifter for ? I'm new to this type of transfer case. Thanks

Unread 11-02-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
CSP

The switch in the glove box locks the transfer case front and rear outputs. Makes it act like a true 4WD transfer case. With it unlocked the outputs can spin at different rates depending on traction, and differences in output speeds like when you go around a turn. With the tcase locked you don't want to be driving on hard surfaces because you can break parts without the slippage that the Qtrac case allows.

The high/low lever should be on the floor near the drivers seat. Not all Qtracs had the low range unit bolted to them, but all CJ's with Qtrac did. If you don't have this lever someone has removed the reduction unit from your tcase or the lever is missing. Go to google.com and search on Quadratrac or Quadra Trac or some variation to learn more about the tcase you have.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2002, 02:24 PM   #3
CDJEEP

Thanks I'll do that. There is a glass tub and no hole in the floor so as you stated it is missing the shifter or has been removed.
Unread 11-02-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
rustyCJ

high/low lever?

ok, i am going to sound really really dumb but i have seen a few comments made toward this and i have no idea what it is. after reading CSP's post that all CJs came with them i went out and checked my jeep to see if somehow after going over every inch of my jeep i had missed it. the lever is not there and there are no holes in the factory orig body where anything could have come up through the floor near the drivers seat.

when i bought the jeep it had 30's on it and on a nice flat road my jeep would be screaming at 55mph and the gas mileage was a joke, round 8mpg. i wont beable to get under my jeep to check out this reduction unit thing until next weekend so, is it possible that the reduction unit is there and stuck in the low 2.57:1 range and the lever is just gone? I guess anything is possible, ever heard of this before?
Unread 11-02-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
CSP

Rusty if yours was stuck in low you would never see the high side of 30 mph even in third gear.
Unread 11-04-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
rustyCJ

ok, I havent had a chance to check for the reduction unit on my quadratrac yet but it has made me wonder. i got out the haynes and chiltons and they make a reference to them as an option. so did all CJs come with it or not, not being able to check my jeep is driving me nuts.
Unread 11-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #7
CSP

Everything I've been told and seen says that all CJ's had it. That doesn't mean anything though. You really never know what Jeep did and didn't include. I've seen stranger exceptions to the rule.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.