glasspack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > glasspack

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-31-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
KG4PAM

glasspack

does anyone have a glasspack muffler on their jeep? i got one the other day, but it was too long and had bends in the end pipe(cherry bomb brand) any suggestions on mounting it? i think im gonna order a shortyer one from summit, and a cat. how loud does it make the jeep? also do you like the tone? thanks! jairus

KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2002, 12:52 PM   #2
Brock

On my '89 Wrangler with a 258, I had the cat gutted (Alabama doesn't check emissions, so I just wanted it to appear straight) and a 24" glasspack muffler put on. It just has a really deep, mellow tone. Not loud at all, but remember, the shorter the muffler, the louder it gets. Also really helped performance and throttle response.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
KG4PAM

thanks i appreciate the reply! yeah, a guy i know said that someone he knew put one in a chevy and it soulded about like a flowmaster. thanks again! btw, do you know if hollowing the cat actually hurts emissions test performance?
KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2002, 10:01 AM   #4
scottahicks

I have flow tech Purple hornies on my cj5 mine are the header type with the turn down on it. it is LOUD but that is also because mine are the 3" and im runing two straight off the headers. flowtech makes a couple diffrent types, look on jegs.com and they have all the lengths etc you might also want to look for some mini turbos there a tiny version of the turbo muffler I realy loved those good noise reduction at idle and low rpm but when you get on it they get wicked. i would have those on mine now but i tore my original set but by staping my driveshaft and the drive shaft ripped through them. so as a cheap fix i cut out the exhause and bolted the glasspacks direct to the headers
good luck

kg6cpz

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2002, 10:08 AM   #5
scottahicks

a very very well tuned engine with low miles can pass an amissions test without a cat on it or a hollowed out cat but a cat does do its job when functioning properly and you run a much lower risk of failing an emissions test. the idea of a cat is to burn the excess unburn fuel and gasses befor the exhaust leaves the tail pipe if you are running rich and dont have a cat your shure to fail,, just depends on your setut and your areas test requirements as to specific emissions levals

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2002, 11:32 PM   #6
MR.CJ-7

I run the "header muffler" style of cherrybomb that bolts right to the header collector, from there it is a short piece of tail pipe and out the side of the CJ. It is very loud. Never a prob with emissions without my cat.
Unread 06-02-2002, 08:33 PM   #7
hollywood

I run a pipe with a factory bend from the manifold to a Cherry Bomb which hangs half in and half behind the transfer case skid pan. It basically sounds like a UPS truck ...just a little louder.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.