Glass tub installation advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Glass tub installation advice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glass tub installation advice?

I've just begun installing my fiberglass body on my freshly blasted and painted 78 CJ7 frame. Does anyone have $.02 or $.03 to put in as far as do's, don'ts, or make sures are concerned? This has been a learn as you go restoration and I really don't want to make any irreversable mistakes at this point. I wasted the $15 on the 4WDH body installation video but it doesn't cover everything in detail in 32 minutes. The body I have is from the mid eighties but was never installed and I have no idea who manufactured it.

A couple of specific questions I have are:

1. Would it be a good idea to place a thin strip of inner tube rubber between the fenders and tub to provide a bit of cushion or should they just be bolted glass to glass?

2. Why are the mounting holes on the rear cross member above the tank so HUGE? The entire mounting rubber could practically fit through.

3. The bottom front of my tub angles up with the floor boards and doesn't touch the forward most body mounts. There must be 5" of space between the body and frame mount( this would be right where the clutch bracket should fasten to the body or frame). Do I need to fabricate a bracket for bolting the body down here (#1) or are the #2 and #3 mounts sufficient along with the rear cross member location under the rear seat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

what make glass boudy did you get ? for youd steering brakes take the steel plate off the old boudy use it for a template to drill holes then bolt it on has serial number on it to you will have to extend brake rod to master cyl to back mounts in frount of gas tank might be rusted out had to make new cross member for mine made it out of stanless steel i would not use the very back mount helps keep twisting out of back of tub use the frount middle above axel mounts any more i can send you pic of my mounts fuzz1580@comcast.net were you from ?
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
bernie

One general suggestion when cutting/drilling/grinding etc. on fiberglass(anything that produces dust):
Wear a mask (respirator).
Coveralls, too.
The stuff is bad.
I prefer good health--short and long term--so I wear the stuff.
The choice, however, is yours.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 04:15 AM   #4
PAJeeper

Measure twice....then measure again, then cut once, mount as much as you can in the body before you mount it to the frame. any drive train work you want to do, do it before you mount the tub. Make sure your tires are centered perfectly as possible in the wheel wells, it will be a constant reminder of how you goofed up, you will notice the smallest amount they are off. Get some metal cutting hole saws for the firewall. Good luck, hope it helped
PAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 04:19 AM   #5
PAJeeper

This site helped me:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...8379/jeep.html

PAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

1. Would it be a good idea to place a thin strip of inner tube rubber between the fenders and tub to provide a bit of cushion or should they just be bolted glass to glass?

I've done two glas bodies conversions. I bought 4WD's bodies too. I didn't put anything between the Fender and Body and I had no issues with not doing it.

2. Why are the mounting holes on the rear cross member above the tank so HUGE? The entire mounting rubber could practically fit through.

My '75 didn't have mounting there so I can't answer that. I'll climb under there and look tonight

3. The bottom front of my tub angles up with the floor boards and doesn't touch the forward most body mounts. There must be 5" of space between the body and frame mount( this would be right where the clutch bracket should fasten to the body or frame). Do I need to fabricate a bracket for bolting the body down here (#1) or are the #2 and #3 mounts sufficient along with the rear cross member location under the rear seat?

I did not use those mounting points on the Tub since there are none prvided, It works fine without them.

THOUGHTS:
After I took all the Firewall stuff off my steel body, I took a large piece of paper and taped it to the firewall, Spray painted thruogh the firewall and used that as a template for the glass body.

If you are not lifting the body off the chassis (staying stock) Will will have to do some 'playing around at the Bellhousing. If you are using and Automatic trani then I cut the section of the glas body out and fiberglassed it back in upside down. I have some pictures that I can send you if you send me your e-mail address.

I've had the current body on my jeep for 6 years now. No problems.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Firewall template for 78 CJ7 anyone?

Thanks for the advice so far. I bought the CJ in pieces including the fiberglass body and the original body has long since become recycled soup cans, however, I do have the clean title (WI). Since I don't have the original tub I am looking for a Firewall template for a 78 CJ7 with a 258/T-150 and PB. So if anyone out there has one left over from a body swap I would be very interested in getting a copy or I would be willing to return a used one if someone wanted theirs back. I would be more than happy to cover shipping both ways and would greatly appreciate your time. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 04-15-2003, 09:24 AM   #8
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

hijeff you have a ton of mail
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mounting blocks do not line up

Thanks for all the pics Fuzz. She looks sweet so far. That 401 makes my little 258 look like a moped motor. Unfortunately my mounting blocks with predrilled holes through the tub do not line up with the mounting positions on the frame. The mounting blocks are about 3 inches closer together than the mounting points on my frame (#2 and #3 mounting positions). Has anyone else ran into this?? I see 4WDH and Quadratec have a "Fiberglass body mounting kit" which includes 2 large plates that get fastened to the #2 and #3 frame mounts and then the body gets fastened to this. Has anyone else used this mounting kit??
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

i got 3 returned mail from box filled up lol did you get the wiring drawings ??
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:18 AM   #11
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

my glass body had no holes in it at all had to do every thing from scratch what i have is an AJ delux picked my color out and that is what they did gel coat in no painting at all and all mounting spots on it had a 10 ga. steel plate in the glass to
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears

Last edited by fuzz401; 04-16-2003 at 07:54 AM..
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:31 AM   #12
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

My 4WD tub also came with Zero holes ( like FUZZ401)
I suggest filling the holes that someone else made with fiberglas and line up the tub on your frame the way it should be. That is , line up the back of the Tub with the rear bumper. Mount the front grill and with the two bars make sure the grill will stand up straight and not hit the cooling fan and also make sure you have room up against the firewall. I did mine with a Chevy motor conversion so I had to 'play' a little.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.